Can solids pass through a non-return valve?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean8n

Reaction score
Problem: something in pipe to mains but could be non return valve as council installed them due to flooding a couple of years ago. Liquid passes through but would solids? Hard to imagine it wouldnt get stuck.

Background: just bought house, Toilet blocked shortly thereafter. After many trials unearthed piping some leaking at bottom of stack so broke it up to replace, found massively clogged with toilet paper and crap. Cleared all, cut clay pipe, now ready to fit new plastic pipes and rubber connectors. But wonder about the above. Want to avoid further work as it involves much digging up concrete and is on the street so if itvis probably an NRV and solids can pass through it, i'll install the new piping but will delay filling in until ive trialled it for a couple of weeks.

Any thoughts?

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I've thought about this myself. IF I ever have to dig up and replace the main line running out to the street, would it be a good idea to install a backwater valve like this:

PVC%20fullport.jpg

Has anyone installed something like this? I've seen backwater valves that have risers, but the one above seems like it would be easier to service.

We install them all the time with no issues if back up. Only issues we have are them failing to stop backwater but that is rare.

I don't see much point to them on a septic system unless it's shared, or protecting a floor drain. Every sewer line should have one to keep your neighbours crap outta your house, or a combined sewer malfunction. On a private septic, it's still going to back up if it goes unnoticed.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I've thought about this myself. IF I ever have to dig up and replace the main line running out to the street, would it be a good idea to install a backwater valve like this:

PVC%20fullport.jpg

Has anyone installed something like this? I've seen backwater valves that have risers, but the one above seems like it would be easier to service.

These are my preference. A little more reliable.

back flow just depends on if you are at risk of sewer backing up in to yours system. Or New/Old building codes in your area requiring them.
A home buyer in La Mesa CA was required to install a back flow valve on his sewer line. Not sure why. The property was well elevated from the street and the main sewer. But there were homes up the street at a higher elevation.

Good thing it was shallow because they have to be accessible. this one got a big 36" box set over it

015.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. One backwater valve (with 'rodent barrier' marked on it, has already been pulled from this pipe, via the mains, so it'd be surprising if there is another one in there as it's only about 12 ft in length. But when I removed the blockage material, it was upsteaam from the present obstacle suggesting, whatever this is, it didnt cause the initial blockage, so perhaps is a valve.

I won't finish the job until I put an inspection cam down there, which I've just ordered.

mr. david if you are talking about doug the inspector in la mesa he is a piece of work. he has made it manditory for every home to have backwater valves installed no matter what. he is new to the inspecting. i got in a arguement about how clean outs and a backwater valve is installed. he also requires 10 foot of head pressure to test connections. there is also an oceanside inspector that is the same way to give you a heads up. i have been told that la mesa sewer system is so bad it constantly backs up and floods peoples homes and that the storm drains are tied into the sewer. dont know if true or not but have heard this from a number of plumbers i know.

mr. david if you are talking about doug the inspector in la mesa he is a piece of work. .

Found it. ^ quote it and it will flag it back to me.

That customer just bought the house and they were forced to install it my the city. Come to think of it, they where doing a lot reconfiguring the floor plan and because they got the building dept involved they made them add the backflow

Latest posts

Back