Can my shower really be doing this?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aptowner

Reaction score
The shower in my apartment is being singled out as the reason my neighbor doesn't have reliable hot water in her kitchen. Defies logic, but the building super thinks this a problem with my "shower body" which I think must mean the valve.
Is it possible that something in the valve has failed and therefore is causing the adjacent apartment to lack hot water? I have agreed to hire a plumber to look into the problem, but this is likely going to mean opening the wall to access the valve isn't it? Can provide details on make model of valve but something seems strange (and expensive). Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Do you have separate water services, meters, and water heaters for each unit?

The only way I can see that your shower valve could be affecting the hot water supply to her kitchen sink is if your two units share a common water distribution system.

Don't let them tear anything open until they explain in a way you understand why they need to open anything.

But a common cross over problem is often caused by older style of Moen single handle valves. Simple easy fix is to just replace the core/cartridge.

Cross over is often associated with an imbalance of water pressure between the hot and cold systems. Or when there is a common hot water system with a recirculating system. Even if the faucet is closed hot or cold water can pass through the defective core.

One way to tell if cross over is occurring. shut off the hot water system. if water is still flowing out of ( best place to check is on a 2 handle faucet) hot side of a fixture the you have a cross over some where.

Next got to suspected fixture of cross over and listen. Can you hear the water hissing through the valve?

I totally agree with Mr. David problem is rare but it can happen. in 13 years I have only seen this 2 times.

Back