Angle valve question?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gendow

Reaction score
The angle valves under my lavatory shuts off the water so I installed a brand new faucet. However, now the water only flows very slowly (both hot and cold). I cleaned out the aerator and see no debris. I also changed the supply tubes (1/2" I.P.S. x 3/8" compression x 12" for both the hot and cold sides). What is going on? The angle valve handles are not stripped (I can see the valve stems going in and out as I turn it on and off). I also tried loosening the bonnet retaining nut holding valve stem and simultaneously loosing the valve stem out so as to increase water flow but to no avail. Any ideas?

Do You have copper water lines or Galvanized steel.
What's your water pressure like

Check flow from valve.
Turn off valve
disconnect supply from faucet.
hold open end in a bucket and open valve.

Try pulling the supply lines off the faucet then running them into a bucket one at a time see what type of pressure you have. If you have pressure coming out of the supply lines the problem is in the faucet. Like Mr. David said if you have galvanized lines they could have plugged up the angle stops. Hope this helps.

Copper water lines on both hot and cold.
The water pressure is strong.
I will have to turn off the angle valve and disconnect the flexible water supply to see why the flow is so slow.
I was thinking that maybe the angle valve had gotten stuck shut (previously I used the word "froze" but I live in Los Angeles where we are no where near freezing) when I had shut it off even though the stem goes in and out when I turn it on or off.

Last edited:
Problem resolved, thanks for the replies. I disconnected the water supply and tested the angle valves by aiming the water in a bucket and both the hot and cold worked fine. I rechecked the aerator and low and behold there was a lot of debris. It was baffling because the first time I checked it was clean. As I think back I could feel a gritty almost crunchy like feel when turning the angle valves which leads me to believe more crusty debris will occur again in my aerator.

Latest posts

Back