Replaceing pilot and tube waterheater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geware

Reaction score
I need to replace pilot and tube on older water heater. The replacement pilot says it can adapt to 3/8 tubing[see pic]. My existing pilot used 1/8in. tubing with these factory ferrules press in the ends [see pic]. How do I use 3/8 tubing to new pilot assembly and get the 3/8 tube to "make up" back at the valve where existing 1/8in was connected?

I need to replace the tubing along with pilot. Those ferrule tips have come loose and are allowing leaks backside of nuts.

IMG_1580.jpg

pilot.jpg

Last edited:
I was thinking about cutting in a inline 3/8 to 1/8 connector so I could use my end at valve. But was advised by a plumber not to do that. He did not have other solution either. Anybody have a thought on putting a connector inline on a pilot tube?

pilot connector.jpg

you can use 1/4" aluminum tubing you can reuse the fitting you have just need a couple 1/4" compression ferrule.

just make sure you reinstall the orifice cup into the pilot or :eek:

Pilot-Burner-Tubing

PD_0421_509_003925115.jpg

Those brass ends on your old tube are actually made to fit/utilize 1/4" compression fittings. Manufactures just reduce the size of tubing to conserve on material. They realized that they can save a lot of coin that way. But most all pilot assemblies are made for 1/4" tubing.

David
Thanks so much. The hot water tank is over at the lake property so I did not have access to experiment fittings [200 mile round trip]. There is no supply houses near there so you best have whats needed when making a trip. What you say makes sense and I can go with that. Thanks again for clarifying what I have.

Back