Can i use the water from the tank?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttatum501

Reaction score
Hello, I was wanting to clean my garage, as it is very messy from dogs. Is it possible to attach a water hose to the hot water heater and then access the hot water to spray on the floor? Sorry kind of a weird question but I cannot find the answer anywhere. Its cold outside and I don't think the outdoor spigot will do the job. It is an electric one.

Hello, I was wanting to clean my garage, as it is very messy from dogs. Is it possible to attach a water hose to the hot water heater and then access the hot water to spray on the floor? Sorry kind of a weird question but I cannot find the answer anywhere. Its cold outside and I don't think the outdoor spigot will do the job. It is an electric one.

Are you wanting to attach it to the hose connection at the bottom of the tank? That is only for draining the tank.

I am not really sure, just wondering if the only access to the hot water is faucets inside the house. I do not have much knowledge when it comes to the appliance. Was just wondering if it is possible to attach a hose and spray hot water. haha

Well, that all depends on how it was plumbed. Sometimes a spigot might be tied into the hot water line. Look at the pipe coming off your tank and trace it. Does it just go into your house or Is there maybe a washing machine where you need to spray?

Well, that all depends on how it was plumbed. Sometimes a spigot might be tied into the hot water line. Look at the pipe coming off your tank and trace it. Does it just go into your house or Is there maybe a washing machine where you need to spray?

There is a pipe (red) safe to assume thats hot water I'm sure, going into the house directly towards the washer. (the tank is located in a "closet" inside of my garage. The Washer and Dryer are located on the other side of the "closet" wall.) I see two valves, im guessing the one with the tube running down the side is the pressure regulator though? and the drain valve. Would it be bad to leave the water on and turn the drain valve? if hot water would even come out of it that is. Thank you.

There is a pipe (red) safe to assume thats hot water I'm sure, going into the house directly towards the washer. (the tank is located in a "closet" inside of my garage. The Washer and Dryer are located on the other side of the "closet" wall.) I see two valves, im guessing the one with the tube running down the side is the pressure regulator though? and the drain valve. Would it be bad to leave the water on and turn the drain valve? if hot water would even come out of it that is. Thank you.

Yeah, that tube on the side is tied into the pressure regulator. Hot water will come out of the drain, but you probably won't get much pressure behind it. Another thing to consider though is the possibility of burning yourself since its purely hot water.

Yeah, that tube on the side is tied into the pressure regulator. Hot water will come out of the drain, but you probably won't get much pressure behind it. Another thing to consider though is the possibility of burning yourself since its purely hot water.

Sounds like more trouble than its worth. Thank you so much for your help! I don't think i will mess with it haha.

My old tanked water heater was installed in the garage. The drain line was plumbed with a hose spigot and I used it all the time to hose my garage out with nice hot water, while simultaneously draining the crud out of the tank. it was a win/win for me.

Most electric water heaters are preset at 125 F. Unless some one turned it up temp should be okay. The one thing to be cautious with is that the drain cock on WHs often leaks after you open them or the sediments in the tank have blocked them from being usable. You could install a hose bib on top of the WH at the HW outlet.
If it's a continuous flow of hot water you want, you will run out of hot water quicker by using the drain cock. Cold water is brought into the bottom of the tank and will quickly be drawn out by the flow through the drain cock.

Back