Attaching a drain line to a cleanout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpt1123

Reaction score
Hello:

I'm installing a small bar with a sink in a basement rec room. The bar will be against a wall, open on the left, and up against a utility closet on the right. The ceiling is finished. There's a small access panel on the left, directly above where I need to install the cabinets. The access panel is for access to a drain cleanout. The cleanout is for the one of the main drain lines. It's a 'T' with a male plug on one side. I want to run a line from the utility closet, attaching it to the cleanout using a male threaded fitting. In the utility closet, I'll attach another 'T' with one end capped for a cleanout and the other end attached to the drain from a sanivite ejection pump. I'll attach an air admittance valve to the pump for the vent. The bar sink will drain into the sanivite pump.

I'm pretty sure all of this will work just fine. I would prefer to cut out the cleanout and replace it with a 'T' but there's no room to work in the finished ceiling. I'm pretty sure the threaded connection to the cleanout isn't code, but I figured if I glue it in, it's unlikely to leak. To top it off, I'd like to close off the access panel. So, I basically have a joint that I won't be able to access if it did leak.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello, yes this would work and it has been done several times. Reason for most c/o plugs are for just that purpose. It is a way to gain access to the waste lines if you have a stoppage. By closing off any access or plugging everything up you are asking for some problems down the road if you need to clean out those lines. If all possible, install tee's or Wye's with insert able c/o where you can. Better to be safe then sorry. If you do thread in a male adapter into the female tee, you only need some Teflon tape and a small amount of Teflon pipe dope. Make sure this is a tee with a clean out and not a "test tee". the female threads on the test tee are usually different size or thread. Not sure what you have. Hope this helps. :cool:GregC

...its been a long day so humor me here... The problem I have with your question Is that you are saying you are using a T to pick up drainage, which Is big trouble.

Conversesy, I believe You to be referring to a "barret Cleanout" which is a T with one line containing a threaded ( in abs ) cap. If so then do as the other member here said and Just add some Teflon tape to the threads and make sure you tighten it well, Glue Is not the thing to use on threads.

I just wanted to make sure that You wernt trying to use a T In a bullheaded fashion cause it will make your drains Clog up fast.

Bull headed T: Normal flow > T >
illegal use of a t. flow ^

:)

Latest posts

Back