180-Degree Direction Change

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadEye

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am working on a basement development with roughed in drain connections. However, the rough-in was done without much foresight as to how the bathroom would be laid out.

Concerning the shower in specific, the 2" line from the drain header (3"?) runs away from my shower (my shower will actually sit above the 3"x2" wye). The drain header seems to be about 10-12" below the top of slab. The roughed in 2" line runs about 4 feet away from my shower.

I would like to run over to the existing pipe and tie in. The run from the P-trap will be the same 4' and include a wet vent (the 8' (4'x2) is too long to make use the vent put in at the time of rough-in). I have sufficient vertical space to ensure both lines are sloped, and the lines are nearly over top of one another (looking above the existing line is at midnight and the new line is no more than one o'clock).

SO, the question is: Can I just use 4 x 45-degree fittings to make this connection?

Last edited:
I should also mention that the reason why I want to do this is so that I don't need to break up the slab and excavate all the fill down to the drain header.

There is a 10" manhole through the slab above the 2" pipe end so doing the 4x45-degree fittings here is a the path of least resistance.

Not sure if it helps, but this is for a house in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Last edited:
Gotta post some pics then we can help ya out, I'm up in Edmonton so I'll have a good idea on local codes.

If you use 4 45 fittings it's not technically allowed. You're allowed 135 degrees of change between the trap arm and the vent. But again post pics and let's see what we can come up with

Latest posts

Back