What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I crawled under a flooded house on Thursday and fixed a leaking water line. Frickin' J hooks.
Lost my phone in the MUD. :mad::mad:
Found it, but it wouldn't talk to me anymore. :mad::mad:
Took it with me just in case I had to call for help.

Dad had a heart attack in Florida. Wasn't doing well so I came out. Since I got here he has done a 180 and is doing much better.

Glad to hear he's doing better. That is unfortunate that you have to go see him after something tragic has happen.

Today I met phishfood at a gun shop/ museum and checked out a bunch of stuff I'm not allowed to buy in California. Then we went and had a few beers down the road. Good day and nice to meet you phish.

Who's next on the list? Maybe Havasu since he lives down the street from me yet avoids me.

Yup, it was a good day, and I had a good time.

That is, until my son borrowed my wife's truck and tried to push over a 18" longleaf pine with the front end of it. I think that pine tree is still laughing.

Heading home in the morning. Wish I could stay longer with dad but my family and my company need me.

i am building a forge,to make knives, scored 2 barrels yesterday, meet a guy at a truck repair shop, who is over a huge truck grave yard
lots of steel...a playground for me..

ordered the fittings for the forge,

also came across an 18 wheeler brake drum and a pick up brake drum for the forge and fire pit

Well It was nice having you around. The last guy who started a new hobby making knives left.
I popped in now and then to show off his knives. Now he's missing.
Maybe cut himself and bled out. No one knows. :cool:

I watched the boob tube last night. There is a new show where these blacksmiths compete to bang out knives and weapons.

Last edited:
Frodo, that garbage with the DMV is such a pain. I'm glad you were able to go elsewhere to get it resolved. I used to have problems with the people at the local DMV with things, but they seem to have improved-- and they actually smile now. I always try to be very polite and smile at them. I figure they probably get a lot of negativity, so smiling and being friendly might help improve their moods a teeny bit.

My internet has been going out because of the rain and the other day my power went out again and stayed out for about 7 hours.

I think I may have mentioned that the adhesive for the rearview mirror on the ford expedition gave up the ghost and the mirror fell off (but it has some sort of wires going to it so it was dangling). Bought some glue and took it to two different places (Autozone and Bumper to Bumper) but neither one of them could figure out how to get the metal piece that has to be glued to the glass out of the back of the mirror. it has to be glued on and then we have to wait 2 hours to put the mirror back on it, but thus far it is not cooperating.

Today I took my friend who had the truck wreck to a doctor's appointment. Saw the x-rays for his arm. The screws go all the way through the bone and stick out on the other side.
1658389_10153230793180168_6641722455276397141_o.jpg

Saw this in front of the store where my friend's cousin works:
11539250_698934856906049_8895298603718857094_o.jpg

11221385_698934883572713_3168260022223666946_o.jpg

11696617_698934906906044_4726677221081948080_o.jpg

I noticed that my friend has been a little distant with his stepson since his wreck and he finally admitted to me that he did not remember the stepson and kept wondering "who the hell is this kid?" when he first got home, but then eventually figured it out. But he has absolutely no memory of the kid from before the accident. He also didn't remember a few other people but he didn't want to tell his family for fear they would be really upset.

The good news is, the impound place that was going to charge $1,100 to get the remnants of his truck off of their lot, are letting him get it for $45 to clear the space and he can use the engine out of it in a different truck.

My brother has been having a better time at work because the new store manager is making accommodations for his COPD-- scheduling him for afternoon shifts because it takes him about an hour or two to recover from his morning nebulizer treatments.

Oh yeah, almost forgot that my friend's cousin said he might be able to fix our Kubota tractor AND might be able to help with tearing down the parts of the barn that are completely ruined so we can get something safer put up or at least reinforce the salvageable parts of the barn. Turns out he knows the owner of my favorite Thai restaurant too. We met there for lunch and he left earlier and paid for my food and my friend's food. I wish I'd known before he left so I could have thanked him. He was rather sneaky about it. I ended up ordering soup to go for my mother afterward and I bought my friend another Thai iced tea for the road. The owner was in a good mood, which was nice to see.

Found an unopened Peerless gooseneck/swan neck style faucet in my plumbing supplies and gave it to my friend because his current faucet is absolute garbage. The neck does not swivel and I have a faucet that can be put in if we ever get the guest bath fixed.

Man, I'm really babbling.

Chris, I'm sorry to hear about your father's heart attack, but am glad that he's doing better.

Hope everyone is doing well tonight.

Thanks, Havasu and Frodo.
I'll have to try to load the video on another computer. For some reason this one won't run Chrome and Firefox is now refusing to play any videos. Its saying I need to update flash and such.

I thought about just gluing the thing on with the mirror on it, but I'm worried it will fall off again if I don't give it more time to set up.

We had to replace the rearview mirror on the Honda not too long ago (it fell off and my brother managed to lose it somewhere) and the metal plate thing was not difficult to remove, but the guy initially glued it on backwards. LOL.

I wonder if I I could add some tape to hold it tight against the window for the first hour or two if it would help keep it secure if I have to re-glue it while its still attached to the mirror... Its a somewhat heavy mirror.

Meanwhile, the doctor forgot to fill out the most important thing on the forms my friend brought to have filled out so he could go back to work so we had to drive back up there to have that rectified. They told him to be there at 1pm, so we got up there and then it turned out that the person they needed to fill in the paperwork wasn't in until 2pm.

Oh, and I have to thank folks for the tip in one of the threads here about putting straws on the toilet bolts when installing a toilet. I passed that along to my friend who passed that along to the handyman who installed the toilets at the workplace and it made the job easier for him. So the handyman extends his thanks for that tip. :)

So, today I went to the grocery store and heard from my friend. Last night his wife's friend was pulling in to their driveway to pick the wife up. The cops pulled her over (no traffic violations) and started interrogating her about who she was, where she was going, what she was doing, etc. They were going to "strip her car" to search it when my friend's wife came out. They started interrogating her-- asking the same questions. She was confused because she was just going out to get a soda and didn't know why she was being treated like a criminal. She said that they told the cops that unless they had a warrant, they better leave the car alone. One of the cops knew the driver and told the other cop to back off. The cops apparently told them that there was a "cocaine problem" on that street and then said that they should "leave the area".

I'm pretty sure they think my friend is a dealer because the father-in-law dumped two old cars in the driveway and people are constantly going over to visit my friend and having to park across the street. He put up a fence around his yard to keep his dogs in (and also bc one of the wife's relatives kept entering the yard to steal my friend's bike and also broke into the house a few times). there are some other people they don't like that they wanted to lock out so there is now a combination padlock on the gate as well.

Its rather sad since my friend hates drugs and wants to keep the druggies out, but they seem to think he's dealing or something. There's a guy across the street that is selling pills he steals from the nursing home he works at though.

Finally got the video to work. I don't think my mirror has that groove for the screwdriver. I'll have to look at it.

Last edited:
Contacted Panasonic about my phone and found out that I can't just get a replacement base unit and there are zero authorized repair places within 100 miles of me. The one we got came with 5 handsets. Amazon has one with 2 handsets for cheaper than Panasonic website has it for the base plus one handset. Free shipping from Amazon, so we're ordering that. Also discovered that we have a thing to plug in to the wall that is a surge protector for outlets AND phone lines. My friend looked at the picture I showed him of the wires and told me what I need to do to install the new jack. The surge suppressor even came with a phone line. (RJ11 or something?)
Took my friend for his appointment to get an MRI. It took about 2 and a half hours (the first hour was just sitting in the waiting room after he filled out all of the paperwork). We went to get food but the first place was overcrowded so we ended up going to Outback and ordering just the appetizers as meals.

Oh yeah, I put the mirror back on the expedition and hooked up the cables for the compass sensor.

I'm about to go install the new phone jack so there is at least one working phone in the house-- I hope.

On a side note, my mother wants me to drain the hot water tank to flush it out. I read that for an electric one I should shut off the water supply to it. Someone else suggested that the water be left running. What do you guys suggest? What are the pros and cons?
(I will be shutting off the circuit breaker to the heater several hours prior so it won't be heating the water). I wonder if sediment could be causing the weird pressure issues.

If you don't turn off power to your electric water heater elements when you drain and refill the tank, you will risk damaging them. Shut off power, drain tank, refill tank, then turn on the circuit breakers. Keep in mind that most new tanks have a cruddy drain spigot and once opened, it may start dripping continuously. Hopefully, the drain spigot is metal and not that darn crummy plastic.

If you don't turn off power to your electric water heater elements when you drain and refill the tank, you will risk damaging them. Shut off power, drain tank, refill tank, then turn on the circuit breakers. Keep in mind that most new tanks have a cruddy drain spigot and once opened, it may start dripping continuously. Hopefully, the drain spigot is metal and not that darn crummy plastic.

Oh, I definitely intend to turn off the power (at the breaker) to the water heater, but someone was saying that leaving the water running into the tank might help it flush better, but another person said that more water coming in would stir up more sediment and interfere with the process.

So, with the electric, I should definitely turn the water off if I can find a shutoff for it? My air conditioning guy commented that the water heater wasn't installed correctly, but he didn't elaborate what was wrong with it. It has the crummy plastic.

At least I got the phone jack installed and it seems to be working ok. The phone I'm using is pretty crummy and there is a ton of static. It's an old phone. But the new phone has been ordered.

I had to put a face plate over the outlet where I put the surge suppressor for the RJ11 line and conveniently a cover plate just turned up on the floor in the kitchen that morning-- still in its packaging. Normally stuff just disappears on me instead. LOL.

Oh, I definitely intend to turn off the power (at the breaker) to the water heater, but someone was saying that leaving the water running into the tank might help it flush better, but another person said that more water coming in would stir up more sediment and interfere with the process.

So, with the electric, I should definitely turn the water off if I can find a shutoff for it? My air conditioning guy commented that the water heater wasn't installed correctly, but he didn't elaborate what was wrong with it. It has the crummy plastic.

At least I got the phone jack installed and it seems to be working ok. The phone I'm using is pretty crummy and there is a ton of static. It's an old phone. But the new phone has been ordered.

I had to put a face plate over the outlet where I put the surge suppressor for the RJ11 line and conveniently a cover plate just turned up on the floor in the kitchen that morning-- still in its packaging. Normally stuff just disappears on me instead. LOL.

I really enjoy your posts, just thought i would let you know

0a91.jpg

Back