Pipe connections to a pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badhandyman

Reaction score
Hi. I'm replacing a pool pump which had 40mm fittings and the new one has 50mm fittings. I have installed 40 to 50mm connectors on each outlet but not glued yet. When running the pump the down pipe connection is leaking around the connection point and then pulls apart due to pressure. Question is do I need to silicon where the piping goes into the connector and also will gluing them together fix this issue? Thanks for any help. I was hesitant to glue it before I had it working.

It's just normal white plastic pipe. Pump doesn't vibrate as it's quite stable on level ground.

Photos of previous pump and fittings attached. These fittings were 40mm however new pump has 50mm hence the need to install a 40 to 50mm connector at each outlet. That is all I have really done.

image.jpg

You know, I have done hundreds of Pool Pump installs and repairs, but I have no idea what I'm looking at in your picture. Frodo is absolutely correct, your phone takes crappy pictures.

I'm also trying to figure out what country your in because here in the US, we don't use metric piping. Pool pumps are typically plumbed in 1-1/2" or 2" PVC. The unions I think I'm looking at in your picture are probably a proprietary thread and the actual size isn't important anyway. They are not to be glued or doped either. They generally have an o-ring that does the sealing.

Latest posts

Back