CPVC or copper?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otahyoni

Reaction score
Which is preferred?

Almost all of my plumbing is PVC/CPVC but the plumber used copper to hook up the new water heater. Is copper better in all situations, or certain ones?

I love copper, but on a repair I will not switch what is there currently. The Codes have different views on plastic pipe and water heaters. Some require copper for a certain amount of distance before any plastic pipe can be used. I have also seen CPVC ran right up to the outlet pipe. Where I currently live, PVC is still legal for cold water, inside or ouside of a house.

I'm asking because i plan on building a house in a few years.

I'm not happy about the way the heater was installed. The plumber assembled all of the joints, then soldered it all together... I know I'll likely never need it apart, but if i do i'll have to cut the pipes... Is that standard practice?

If I run copper pipe, I always add a union at the water heater, both on the inlet and outlet. This helps if the heater ever needs to be removed. Contractors do things the cheapest way possible. In my own house, I added shut-offs to the tub/shower in case I ever need them and an access panel.

Here in So Cal PVC/CPVC is not permitted for use inside a buildings for water service. Only outside underground. It's also not used in drain systems. ABS is or No Hub cast Iron is used for drainage.
PVC typically is used for condensate drains and irrigation systems.
They are starting to use PEX pipe inside now in New construction.
They use Orange CPVC for Fire sprinkler systems though.

I'm asking because i plan on building a house in a few years.

I'm not happy about the way the heater was installed. The plumber assembled all of the joints, then soldered it all together... I know I'll likely never need it apart, but if i do i'll have to cut the pipes... Is that standard practice?

Plastic is much cheaper and easier to install.
Copper is better. But $$$$$
overall diameter is smaller and easier to route.
Check into the pex pipe. Thats some cool stuff but you need special tools to work with it.

I could understand special tools for the crimp style connectors, but are there compression style or those push together connectors?

yes,it is standard practice. unions are ok, and if your thinking that down the road you might have to remove the old tank and install a new one it would have to be exactally the same size. and in our world that hardly ever happens. but next time just tell the plumber to install the unions so you can be happy.

Back