Toilet Plumbing in Honduras

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trchamberlain

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum. I signed up because I am volunteering in Honduras and some of the work involves plumbing. I am a DYI guy in the States but things are a bit different here and I am pretty much on my own. I need help getting connected with people who can help me figure out how it's done here! Any help is appreciated!

Here it goes: I need to install a toilet and a couple of shower drains in a new construction. The drain pipes have concrete poured all the way up to the floor level with tile around them. The pipe is PVC SDR (sdr 35?) and the toilet drain is about and inch larger diameter than the flange that I have.

Do I need a larger flange or can I reduce and adapt somehow to the smaller sch 40 flange? I am not opposed to doing some chiseling in the concrete which I am sure needs done but I need to know what to get at the hardware store before I go. If anyone has actually done work in Central America and could tell me how they normally do it here that would be best. They definitely don't have strict codes like in the states.

Additionally the shower drains are metal and don't appear to have any way to connect to the pipe. I am guessing you just slide the lip of the drain inside the pipe and cement around them leaving enough space at the top for grout around the outside. Any input? I can try to get some pictures too.

I'm surprised they use SDR 35 all the way inside the home. It's a great pipe but I've never heard of it used that way. I'll talk to my supply house and see what if any adapters they make.

The OD if SDR is about the same as sch 40 or 80

Sent from my iPhone using Plumbing Forum

Here are some pictures of my plumbing problem. As you can see in pic 1 the drain seems to be at the standard distance from the wall but the pipe is 4.5" ID. I have an offset flange that I measured at 4" OD which I assume is standard. My Spanish is lacking so I want to be as prepared as possible before I go into the store. Should I be able to get a 4.5" OD flange or should I expect to have to get an adapter from 4.5" to 4" to go with a standard flange? I hope that makes sense. If there is anything else you see in the pictures that you could point out to help me I would appreciate it. Thanks!

IMGP0557.jpg

IMGP0559.jpg

I also have two shower drains that I need help with. They are in new construction but the concrete is already poured and the tiles laid right up to to top of the pipe. I know I can chip out the concrete but the pipes go horizontal just a couple inches under the surface. The first one is supposed to get the large square drain in pic 1. My first question is how do I adapt that down to the 2" drain pipe, especially with only a couple inches or less to make the transition? Do I just make a cement taper down to the pipe and cement the drain in over it? The screws in the drain are for the drain screen/stopper not for securing to the floor.
The second drain is supposed to take one of the two round drains shown in pic 4. How does this style drain work? Do I just slide it into the drain pipe and cement/grout around it? This one is also very shallow, can I just cut the lip shorter on the drain to get it down to the level of the tile?

Feel free to add anything you see from the pics I can use all the help I can get!
Thanks

IMGP0568.jpg

IMGP0570.jpg

IMGP0572.jpg

IMGP0560.jpg

IMGP0562.jpg

IMGP0561.jpg

I have never tried it, but I THINK that the flange you have will glue inside of the pipe. But what you appear to have is a fitting with no pipe inside of it. So, if I am correct, you will need a short section of that pipe to glue inside of the fitting, and then you will be able to glue the flange inside of that. It is absolutely necessary that you screw the flange down to the floor in a least 4 locations around the perimeter of the flange with concrete screws.

Still trying to come up with something halfway workable for the showers. I will post back if I can come up with something.

That looks like a glue bell for SDR pipe. I can measure the OD of a piece at my shop tomorrow so you can be certain.

I would think a flange for sch 40 should fit SDR for the most part, only problem you having a bell there instead of pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Plumbing Forum

OK I did some measurements and the OD of the SDR 35 PVC Pipe in my shop is 4.22 inches and the OD of some SCH 40 CPVC Pipe (CPVC was all I have in stock) is 4.50 inches.

Don't know if this helps confirm anything?

Thanks for all the help guys. I just got my instructions from a local guy who knows how it's done down here. This is going to make you all cringe but they just mortar it to the floor with what appears to be grout for porcelain tile...no bolts at all. It's even got a picture on the front of the bag showing it being used for installing a toilet. This is done without a flange or a wax ring, just line up the exit hole of the toilet with the hole in the floor. The shower drains are similar. Just slide the bottom of the drain down the pipe and mortar it in. The square drain in the pics is only for 4" pipe so I didn't have to try to install that, thanks to God. You learn something new every day. It might not be right but it is new!

Latest posts

Back