pipe corrosion on w/h intake

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olduglyguy

Reaction score
I have a spigot that turns the cold water on to the water heater and the spigot has corrosion to where I cannot turn the valve. Should I be concerned? This is a new house that I just purchased and the w/h was replaced about 2 yrs ago.

Well you should be ok for now but I wouldn't let it go too long. If there ever were an emergency with the water heater you would have to shut the whole house down. If that valve worked at least you only have to isolate the hot side if there are issues with the tank. Or the valve itself could start leaking. Hard to say really cause we can't predict. If it was house I'd get it fixed, as long as I could afford to, or soon as I can afford it I'd do it. It shouldn't cost you too much to have it replaced, they will have to shut down the whole house to replace it. Probably around 1 hr for actual work. Have you checked your main water shut off in the house? If it doesn't work well you could do them both in one shot. I would get a 1/4 ball valve if they put a new valve in. They are practically maintenance free and won't seize up or at least a lot less likely.

I have a spigot that turns the cold water on to the water heater and the spigot has corrosion to where I cannot turn the valve. Should I be concerned? This is a new house that I just purchased and the w/h was replaced about 2 yrs ago.

If your home came with a home warranty I would have it replaced right away, and like Stevemachine said, I would definitely check the service entrance valve (house main water valve) for proper operation.

Latest posts

Back