how do i remove this shower handle?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmbont0

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I am trying to change the cartridge in this Moen 2 handle shower as it started dripping at the shower head ( doesnt leak at the handles ). The picture explains how far I am able to get so far. I am not sure what to do next..The circular knob in the front prevents the cover from just sliding over.I do see the threaded pipe on the wall exposed if i loosen the faucet cover till it doesn't move any more after it hits the circular knob. Please help.. Thanks

moen shower.jpg

20160720_174722.jpg

Isn't there a phillips head screw or an allen inside the top cap that is stopping it from being removed?

Isn't there a phillips head screw or an allen inside the top cap that is stopping it from being removed?

Yes. There was one. I did unscrew and got it out..So does the circular knob supposed to come out after i remove the screw that was in the center of it? Do i just pull the knob out with pliers..it did look like its moulded to the horizontal rod and not really something that will just come out..but i could be wrong.... I have done some major screw ups in the past with plumbing issues..So I am really skeptical to do anything that doesnt looks straight..But again..dont want to feel like a fool when the plumber comes in and does a 1 min thing to get it done..

Screw the handle back into the circular ball. That unscrews so the can change how the trim looks.
use the handle to add leverage and gentle or not so gently rock the handle and pull the hole thing off. If the handle had a screw in the center then that screw was hold the handle on. Once you pull the handle off, the escutcheon will come off.

Are you sure that is a MOEN?
That is not the Monticello. Of which does not have a screw in the center like yours.

I looked at photo again. Shower head looks like a Moen, but that doesn't always mean the valve is.

monticello.png

Last edited:
Dave speaks the truth. Just don't use pliers or you will gouge the crap out of it. They also have universal handle pullers available but brute force will save you some $$.

If it is an issue of corrosion that has the handle stuck on I have found the PB blaster works great. Just be causious with your finish. Does ok with chrome finishes. I just squirting it in the srew hole and let it loosen up the stuck handle. However if you have had bad luck with diy plumbing in the past I would recommend that you have a professional come and help you out with this. You will kick yourself later if you run into a major issue and cause damage. Just keep that in mind.

Latest posts

Back