Slow Rim Jets--Tried EVERYTHING!!!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jac233

Reaction score
Ok, I'm new to this forum, but always find great answers on these forums and appreciate the group help.

I have a 1.6 gallon Kohler that's probably about 10yrs old. It is flushing OK, but the rim jets under the lip are weak at the front of the bowl. As a result, sometimes toilet paper at front of bowl won't get pushed down to be flushed. I've tried cleaning with vinegar at first and it seemed to work great for a few flushes then those front holes stop flowing again. I then went to CLR solution and let it sit overnight. Again, water gushes out of rim jets initially, then stops coming out in the same spot again; right in front to the left. Finally I took the toilet off the floor, removed outside and flushed out with muriatic acid since I have septic. I also cleaned it out with house on my patio and filled tank and it flowed out of the jet holes perfectly. Put it back in, and flushed great for a while then back to same result--always in the same spot.

I'm so annoyed with this and feel like it's just the toilet sucks?? But it's a very nice toilet, not that old, and all the buildup around jets is gone; it looks brand new!!!

Please!! Any suggestions as I am at a total loss here! What else do I try??

Try putting CLR in your tank before it gets full and flush that some acids work well too.

How close is the water line to the drain tube in your tank?

I did check and it's right at the line.

I then discovered the strangest thing. When my tank lid is off, the flush is perfect. As soon as I put the tank lid back on, the rim jets in the front of the bowl do not fill. Seems like some type of suction issue? How would the tank lid off do anything different? Thanks!

Sounds reasonable on some toilet tanks. Put a few dollups of silicone on all 4 corners of the tank. Let it dry, then reinstall the tank lid.

Back