What's this plumbing piece?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krisdiy

Reaction score
Hey All,

New here and of course I come here with a problem.

I received my new tub spout, but it's got a 1/2 female NPT fitting and so does what's behind the wall. I would just get an adapter but then the spout won't sit flush against the tile.

It's a Grohe spout and I've tried both the manufacturer and the folks I purchased from and both suggest a plumbing store. I'm going to try there but wanted to look online as well, but I don't know the name of the piece.

What's this thing called? I need female side to be a male instead.

Thanks,
Kris

20131203_151700.jpg

Will 1/2" copper slide through it?

If so, solder a brass sweat ring onto a piece of 1/2" copper, thread that into the 1/2" inside the wall, remove the Oring from the spout adaptor, then solder the spout adaptor to the copper.

I tried and 1/2" copper won't slide through it. Are there any other options?

Even a very short brass nipple in between won't work?

Is the piece thick enough that you could drill through it with a 5/8" drill bit? That is the OD of 1/2" copper, that would let you solder it in place.

That looks like a Grohe only part, so if they don't offer a male threaded version of it, I doubt one is available.

Is this the tub spout? Got the number off the box in your picture. I don't see that part in the spec sheet. Do you have any more pictures of the spout, specifically the inlet end that goes against the wall.

13275-001-starlight-chrome.jpg

That's the right tub spout. Here's another picture of the inside of the spout without the spout adapter inserted.

20131203_215817.jpg

As phish pointed out, if you have a 1/2" female in the wall and a 1/2" female i the adapter then what you need is a 1/2" brass nipple in between. The spout should then go onto the adapter. I'm not sure how the spout stays on the adapter to hold pressure when the diverter is used on the spout, but there may be a set screw in the packaging or other info in the installation guide.

Examples of what you may need.

brass nipple tub spout   Google Search.jpg

brass nipple   Google Search.jpg

brass nipple  2.jpg

grohe 13 275 owner installation   Google Search.jpg

Thanks everyone.

If I go with the brass nipple how to I cover up the connections since it will be quite a way from the finsihed wall...the entire length of the fitting.

Thanks everyone.

If I go with the brass nipple how to I cover up the connections since it will be quite a way from the finsihed wall...the entire length of the fitting.

That depends on how close the female connection is in the wall to the outside finished surface. Brass nipples come in a variety of lengths. You have the inside female threads plus the distance between the spout and the fitting.
Sorry, this may be hard to explain.
Stick a tape measure into the hole to the face of the fitting behind the wall.
Take that measurement to the surface of the wall. (for example, it could be 1")
Add the depth of the female threads on spout adapter and fitting behind wall.
(example: first measurement was 1", fitting is 1/2" deep and spout adapter is 1/2" deep. The result would be a 2" nipple)
The escutcheon will trim it out when the spout is installed.
Hope this makes sense. The proper length of nipple will leave the spout flush with the finished wall.
It's a shame that products don't come with these instructions anymore, yet they rely on DIY installs for a large part of their business.
I'll see if there is an online instructional video that I can link to that shows a spout installation with brass nipple.
Maybe some other members would have a good link, too.:)

Back