General Cold Shot pipe freezing kit

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phishfood

Professional
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in the supply house yesterday to pick up a few things, and they had a slightly used Cold Shot for sale at a decent price. Thinking back, there have been times a tool like this would have come in handy, so I picked it up.

Cold Shot.jpg

The collars you see go around water pipe. This kit will do from 1/8" iron pipe up to 2" iron pipe, with all sizes of copper, CPVC, PEX, and PVC in between. The coiled line at the top of the picture connects the collar to a CO2 tank. The CO2 freezes the water in the pipe, allowing you to cut into the pipe without having to shut the water off.

That is interesting. I've never seen one before. What is the general reason for using this?

We had the Rigid one at my old company, it worked great.

Havasu you use it when you can not shut down a line so it will freeze the water in the pipe so you can do a repair. Works great for when you don't want to tear up a road to get to a corp stop.

How times have changed,. We would use dry ice to freeze the line. Don't even know where you could get dry ice today. Had to freeze a 2" water main to make repairs on it. It was 3+ feet under ground.

The Rigid kit was electric and worked great. Took about an hour to get it solid but then you can work within inches and it keeps it frozen.

Latest posts

Back