Toilet and shower floor turning black after resin change

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin121881

Reaction score
First of all I am not a plumber. I am mechanicaly inclined and can get through most things. I have a water softener pureonics brand with a brine tank about 7 years old brought with me from old home but both Homes on city water. It had a leak that the water softener company said that they had to replace the tank. So after a while they finally did. When they replaced the tank they said I was due for a resin change or cleaning or something that cost 400 dollars. I never had any water issues at either home before the softener was installed. Now on the shower floor, toilet and even in a white plastic bowl (that only gets filled by an under the sink 3 stage whirlpool filter) are turning black. I am hesitant to call the water softener company because I don'the know enough about it to know if they are just screwing me. Help.
Thanks in advance.

Well softener has resin and it isn't black. Instead of placing softener resin in unit, they could have placed filter media in unit which is black. If they didn't backwash unit after new media was placed inside, it could be dust residue from wrongly installed filter media. At this point thats the only thing I can think of.

Is it only happening in this room of the house where plumbing is located?

Does the Whirlpool filter only tie into lav sink?

What this bathroom possible an addition to the home constructed with different plumbing material with scale build up within pipes?

It is happening in the kitchen and master bath. I have not noticed it in kids bathroom. Kids bathroom is on the far side of the house from water softener. Whirlpool filter has its own small faucet in kitchen sink. Home does not have any additions built in 2006. Would filter media clog anything up. I have not been having any problems with that? Just staining and wife complaining about different tastes getting worse. The black stains only come up with the works toilet bowl cleaner some bad stuff.

I would place the unit in bypass for a few days to see if the problem still continues. If it stops then you know it must have something to do with the softener.
I have personally never seen softener cause this to happen.

Well softener has resin and it isn't black. Instead of placing softener resin in unit, they could have placed filter media in unit which is black. If they didn't backwash unit after new media was placed inside, it could be dust residue from wrongly installed filter media.

...hmmph...

Smart Guy! ;)

If the company who installed the media was in fact a filtration company, I can't imagine them installing the wrong media. :(hopefully:)
The black from a well would be expected, but from city water, not so much. Carbon media gives off a black color until all the dust is washed clear.

Latest posts

Back