leaking toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello. I'm not too knowledgable with anything plumbing and I have a problem. My toilet leaks at the very base of it at the floor right in the front. I had replaced the wax seal and that didn't help and I replaced it again but with one of the rubber type ones and it still leaked but I suspect the toilet itself is to blame. See it only leaks when the bowl is filling up or when it's flushing, then it leaks for a small while and stops even though there's still a good amount of water in the bowl. So basically it only leaks when water is moving about the bowl such as flushing and the bowl filling up which makes me suspect a crack or something. So anyone have any ideas on how to fix or do I just need a new toilet?

Also if I do need a new toilet I would need suggestions for a toilet preferably under 200 bucks that's reliable and preferably one of the taller "comfort height" ones. Also there's not much room from the toilet to the wall only about 10 inches from the wall to the bolts holding the toilet down.

pour a bottle of food coloring in the toilet, let it sit for 30 minutes, then look for color

if no color, flush it, look for color. if you have a crack, you will see it

kohler has a comfort height for $218.00 you will have to enquire about a 10'' rough bowl

pour a bottle of food coloring in the toilet, let it sit for 30 minutes, then look for color

if no color, flush it, look for color. if you have a crack, you will see it

kohler has a comfort height for $218.00 you will have to enquire about a 10'' rough bowl
Do I put the food colour in the tank or bowl?

Tank, if you put it on the bowl you shouldn't be able to see where the leak come from.

you have replaced the wax ring twice, either your toilet has a crack or someone does not know how to set a toilet

you wanted to determine if your toilet needs replacing

to find a crack

1, pour die in tank
2, let it sit, look all around and under on top sides for color
3. if you do not see any color, tank is not cracked
4 flush toilet
5, look for color, on top, on sides behind, every where
6. if water/ color seeps out from under toilrt
7 pull toilet, turn upside down and see if you see color in a crack

8. if no color, no crack is seen, except for around the wax ring
smack the guy who set it,,smack him twice, a Gibbs back of head smack

clean all wax out from toilet
install new closet bolts
put a wax ring on the floor, in between the bolts
set toilet over the bolts, with your chest, press down..if your a little guy...do the best you can
stand on it do a jig. icon.gif .lol

install nerts and washers,,,water line. turn it on and pee in it

you have replaced the wax ring twice, either your toilet has a crack or someone does not know how to set a toilet

you wanted to determine if your toilet needs replacing

to find a crack

1, pour die in tank
2, let it sit, look all around and under on top sides for color
3. if you do not see any color, tank is not cracked
4 flush toilet
5, look for color, on top, on sides behind, every where
6. if water/ color seeps out from under toilrt
7 pull toilet, turn upside down and see if you see color in a crack

8. if no color, no crack is seen, except for around the wax ring
smack the guy who set it,,smack him twice, a Gibbs back of head smack

clean all wax out from toilet
install new closet bolts
put a wax ring on the floor, in between the bolts
set toilet over the bolts, with your chest, press down..if your a little guy...do the best you can
stand on it do a jig. View attachment 11138 .lol

install nerts and washers,,,water line. turn it on and pee in it

If I see no crack what type of seal should I use. A wax one, a wax one with the plastic thing or one of those sani seal type rubbery ones

Did the food coloring. Nothing from the tank but when I flushed it seeped out from the front area. The thing has been set on a new seal 3 times now and still does it but has no visible cracks I'm so confused

Pay a plumber $750 to supply & install a 10" rough toilet. You can then go cut the grass or something

would an extra thick wax seal be worth a try before I go buy one of those? Seeing as I have one laying around I was going to try next

Are you using the wax ring with the built in funnel? They make those with the extra thick wax. That is what I would use.

What I have done on situations like this is take the toilet off, find a large enough piece of cardboard to place on the ground.Get a 5gallon bucket to place on the cardboard, then carefully balance toilet on the bucket. Get your garden house to fill toilet tank up. once full then you can flush toilet. Once flushed feel the hollow areas of the underside of the trap-way to find any potential leaks that the water could be coming from. If no water makes it on the cardboard, or you don't feel any water, then you know its most likely a setting the toilet issue. Just note when you set the toilet place wax seal on the flange first don't listen to the direction on those boxes. Once toilet placed through closet bolts, push firmly and don't attempt to lift what so ever after that.

I have found two faulty new toilets like this in my 10 yrs plumbing experience. Just something to try if you don't want to buy a new toilet.

SREX2004Y_installed.jpg

:rolleyes: BTW-...

Make sure the bowl is level after tightening down (hopefully sub-floor is level and in good condition and flange is properly secured).

And here is another good idea diddy to save the sub-floor-

Toilet Flange Tile Guide _3.jpg

Last edited:
And here is another good idea diddy to save the sub-floor-

it is code to caulk or grout, all fixtures to the wall or floor

had an inspector in Tittusville fla.
he would ask for your license , drop it on the floor, with the toe of his boot he would edge it towards the toilet, if it went under the toilet.

he would tell you after you get it out, call for a reinspection

believe me, that will only happen to you one time,

Back