What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris, did you go into Azusa for the Banks exhaust? I use to sleep...er, watch his place late at night while I was on patrol .

This morning I kept hearing a strange sound that reminded me of someone repeatedly stepping on snow and crunching it over and over. I tried to look out my window to see what it was but didn't see anything.

I noticed the water pressure was a little low when I flushed the toilet and thought that was odd.

So I finally went outside and saw that a wrapped pipe that has two faucets on it had burst and was spurting out water.

It was not as cold as it could have been, which is good because I had to stick my hand into the spray to turn the shutoff valve.

I do have some PVC lying around and some more wrap. I need to figure out where it burst and then cut below that to patch it and wrap it up better.

What sort of tape would be best for wrapping around the insulated wrap stuff?

Last edited:
Not quite sure what type of wrap you have.

But one thing to keep in mind is that you don't want to compress the wrap, as compressing any insulation subtracts from the R value of the insulation.

Thanks, phisphood. It had the foam wrap designed for pvc and was taped on with duct tape I think. The old stuff feels sort of like sturdier styrofoam. Not sure what the exact material is. I also have some more rubbery stuff for pipes that I can use.

I went into town to try to find space heaters for the workshop and pump house but they were all sold out.

I shut off the water lines to the exterior fixtures (waterers for animals, workshop, and barn).

I need to figure out which faucets are attached to which line. There are four shutoffs in the pump house. One labeled "Main" that supplies water to the other three shutoffs. Two of the shutoffs are to exterior plumbing and one goes to the house. We used to have it set up so there was a separate one for hot water but the tenants ripped it out when they were dicking around with our plumbing.

When I was down at the barn my little chiweenie started kicking dirt with his back feet and woofing at one of the cats. I looked closer and realized it was not one of my cats. It's the neighbor's bobtailed cat that fathered some of my kitties. The cat ran off into the woods and my dog was all proud of himself.

Later the dog started barking like crazy in the house. The possum is back in the laundry room. The dog scared it so badly that it passed out. It holds its mouth open as if its going to bite but doesn't actually bite. Its below freezing tonight and the possum wanted a warm place to sleep. My brother named it Earl and fed it cheese cubes. He said it likes cheese but doesn't show any interest in animal crackers or potatoes.

I'm still trying to convince my mother to have the laundry room and guest bath renovated so that they are useful. I'm trying to figure out how difficult it would be to move the toilet and shower to the other side of the wall (well, probably would try to get a different shower). I'm also wondering how hard it would be to make it a wet room where the shower head is on the wall and the drain is in the floor instead of being in a shower stall of sorts. Only problem would be keeping the toilet paper dry-- although I wonder if I could possibly use plexiglass between the shower and toilet. I have a large sheet of it down at the workshop. I do realize that the wet room thing would require some major moisture barriers in the walls and floor. I should probably discuss this in the thread I made for the project...

Here is a picture of what I was thinking-- imagine the glass as plexiglass though.
Arctic4.jpg

Not sure if that is a good idea or not since it could scratch easily and is not all that sturdy if someone leans on it.

Btw, anyone know if there is something akin to a "Plumbing Vents For Dummies"? I'm trying to figure out what configuration I would need for the hookups to shower and toilet if things were moved.

Last edited:
Its so quiet in this thread. I miss you guys! The weather permitting, I might do some more painting today.
I'm starting to consider putting up some sort of beadboard or wainscot, but I'm having a hard time finding stuff that is moisture resistant.
Meanwhile my cats knocked over a dish drying rack and mugs flew across the room. Only one broke though. It was one I didn't like.

I've been so busy at work I don't know what to do with myself. Today I am going out to pick up another work truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Plumbing Forum

Hearing that my second knee replacement paperwork is coming in next week, I know that surgery is coming soon. Knowing this, I'm now frantically trying to get all my tax return paperwork set up, scheduling trips to Lake Havasu, doing oil changes, visiting family and friends, and just getting ready to be on my back for a month.

Chris, at least your business is good. Hope you find a good truck!

Havasu, I'm crossing my fingers for you and hoping everything goes well on the knee surgery. I know that can be one of the most painful ones to recover from. My aunt had botched knee surgery and it messed up her hip so now she needs hip replacement too. Hopefully you'll have a better doctor than she had. My uncle and I both want to punch the living hell out of the quack that did a hack job on her.

phishfood, I don't think I can even stay awake for 11 hours straight-- other than when I had to make that 18 hour trip from Albuquerque to home. I hope you had some good bonding time with your son.

Today is my baby brother's birthday. He's 34 now. A Golden Corral opened up in a nearby town so we are hoping to go there today. I might convince him to let me pop in to HD or Lowes to pick up some self-leveling mix. I'm also going to see if the paint took on my cabinet doors or if I still have some brown color poking through. I put a few layers on and for some reason there is a reddish brown color that keeps seeping all the way through in speckles. I've used a paint roller and a brush.. I might try a spray can for the last layer.

Last edited:
Took my truck into the shop for a coolant leak today. Bought another work truck over the weekend and need to get to the dealer to pick it up.

matthew, I'm sorry you're feeling sick. I hope you're feeling better today.

I don't know my way around in the larger town so I had my brother tell my phone's GPS to look for Golden Corral in Alexandria LA. It kept trying to tell us to take strange roads that didn't lead and then once we got there it took us through the ghetto and then looked like it was leading to a hwy out of state. My brother's friend started joking about it and I glanced down and it said the trip was estimated to last 18+hours. I was like WTF? I pulled off the road and had my brother look, it was routing us to a Golden Corral in Alexandria, MARYLAND. So his friend took the phone and got it to give us the correct directions-- 8 minutes away. We got there and there was a line all the way out the door with more people arriving. We decided to go to our favorite Thai place instead but it was closed. So we ended up eating at IHOP.

We didn't stop at Lowes or HD though. My brother didn't feel like it. Then my mother called and wanted us to come home early because she didn't care that it was my brother's birthday and was demanding that he cook for her. She kept nag-calling until we got home.

Yesterday I went to loan my black & decker Matrix to a friend and his wife asked if we could give her a lift to the store. Ended up being a huge trip with 3 carts of stuff. It was a challenge to cram it all in to the Honda CRV along with 5 adults and a child. Fortunately the ones in the back were skinny and I think people were sitting on each other's laps. If I'd known it was going to be a huge WIC grocery trip I would've brought the expedition. I was so exhausted by the end of that trip. When I got home I had to make my mother dinner, clean a bunch of crap up, and feed all of the animals. I slept most of the day today because I was so tired (the whole chronic fatigue thing tends to kick my ass after a busy day).

Man, its not even 4pm and its already starting to get dark outside. WTF?

Chris, that sucks about the coolant leak. I hope your new work truck helps out.

Nice truck Chris! And I'm just doing some homework and getting ready for the big three exams I have in a few weeks for my ticket. Interprovincial red seal, gas ticket, and provincial plumbing. So close and can't wait.

Went by the office/warehouse to pick up some stuff, talked to a couple of my PM's about jobs, got on the power threader to cut down some brass nipples, picked up a hand core machine at a rental house, layed out some holes for floor hydrants and drilled them, took the core machine back, put on my side business hat, went and jackhammered up a shower floor and moved the drain, installed a new shower valve, and demoed a kitchen sink.

Chris, that is a nice truck!
steve, good luck on your exams!
phishfood, wow, sounds like a busy day.

The other day I took my mother to two doctor's appointments, waited at the DMV while the clerk tried to speak to an illegal alien who didn't know any English (but the clerk didn't know any Spanish) for about 10 min, spent less than 5 seconds at the desk because all I needed was a form (but there was only one employee there), got the doctor to fill the form out, took it back and got my mother her handicap ID and tag, went to Texas Roadhouse for lunch, went to Lowes and Home Depot to try to get some stuff on my list.. I got the toilet flange extender kit just in case, got some new rolls for my paint roller, talked to the flooring guy about some options, got a 50lb bag of self leveling flooring (it was the ONLY kind they had and they don't sell anything smaller). They don't carry the Henry's self-leveling stuff anymore. The new stuff requires a primer first. The guy at HD said I could use half of the bag instead of using the whole bag and just using half the water, since the entire bag is too much for the space I'm working on. I got a new narrower float/trowel thingy that I can use to get between the wall and the thing I'm going to use to cover the hole for the water supply. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to seal stuff up to keep the mix from flowing into places I don't want it. The cardboard stuck in the last stuff.

The next day I took my friend's wife to the store and she brought along a friend. When I was backing out of the friend's driveway my vehicle got stuck in the mud (her driveway is across a ditch and is very narrow and has very soft soil) I gave it a bit more gas to try to get unstuck and it only grabbed on one side so it pulled to the left and slammed my side mirror into a plant and broke the glass on the mirror (that vehicle doesn't have 4WD or AWD). Fortunately the mirror stayed attached. I will have to go to the store and order a new mirror. Fortunately I know a place in town that will install it for free if I buy it from them.

The girls went shopping for groceries and clothes-- boring as hell. Neither one of them are into computers or tools so they didn't want to look at any of the stores I like to go to.

WTF.. My whole house just shook for a split second and this is not an earthquake area... I don't know wtf that was...

I cleaned that truck up a bit and put on the tool box, fuel transfer tank and rack that we use. It's ready for work now.

04 dodge ram.jpg

Latest posts

Back