Can two P traps share the same vent?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dswatuga

Reaction score
I am considering adding a shower to a bathroom with an existing tub. The tub right now is sitting on the slab and (assuming it was done to code in 1985) it has a P trap in the slab and a vent pipe in the exterior wall next to it.

I'm trying to get all of my information correct before I start tearing anything up so I was wondering if I can...

1. Remove the current P Trap
2. Split the drain line with a three way connector while not interfering with the vent in the wall
3. Put a new P Trap off of on one end of the strip for the tub and another P Trap on the other end of the split.
4. Both P Traps would vent to the single existing pipe in the wall.

All of the drain pipes are 2 in. as far as I know and it is a septic tank system (no city connection). Obviously there is going to be a lot of chipping up concrete.

My concern is the venting. Will two p traps sharing a vent pass code?

If I am understanding you correctly, the answer is no. What you will need to do is to is to tee into the vertical section of the vent to make a second trap arm. If height constraints won't allow this, there are other piping arrangments that will work, but are much more complicated to explain, and install.

What are the drains being used for?
What size is the vent?
how far are the traps from the vertical vent?

Back