Update on my leaky toilet woes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbie666

Reaction score
Its been about a month and yet again it leaked a bit today, cleaned it up and put some pieces of toilet paper to make sure it had stopped leaking. Noticed nuts holding down toilet were hand loose so I tightened them. This current installation(s) were good for a month then it leaked. I imagine if there was a crack somewhere it would leak slowly and constantly as I have had toilet paper around the base to detect leaks.

If you look at my pics the flange bolts they slide into a notch in the lead liner is that correct? Looks like lead liner was pulled up bit to allow bolts to slide in and when liner is flat it holds it in place. Is it normal to be able wiggle bots a bit? Should I use a plastic washer underneath the brass ones in the pic? Also lead flange isn't smooth like a plastic one, it does have some irregularites and I don't see any cracks in it.

Should I use shims? At the front and back of the toilet there is no gap to speak of. In the middle around where the bolt holes there is a gap.

I'm at a loss, tried 2 toilets, wax ring on flange first, wax ring on toilet first. I guess I should have hired a plumber from the get go and had it done "right".

002.jpg

003.jpg

Here is how much of a shim I can slide in underneath the base of the toilet where the bolts would be. I marked it off with green tape.

003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep looking at that picture, and thinking that I wouldn't want to try and get a proper seal against that flange. Maybe the picture isn't doing it justice, but there doesn't seem to be much there.

I agree with phish. Doesnt seem to be much there. In addition, looks low to my eye.

I keep looking at that picture, and thinking that I wouldn't want to try and get a proper seal against that flange. Maybe the picture isn't doing it justice, but there doesn't seem to be much there.

Install a replacement stainless steel flange screwed to the subfloor and then the toilet can be installed solidly as normal. An experienced plumber may want to solder on a brass flange but even most plumbers would just screw on the stainless steel ring.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sioux-Chief-Stainless-Steel-Flange-Repair-Ring-886-MR/202274075

Is the flange lower than your finish floor?

Sent from my iPhone using Plumbing Forum

Back