Removed Softener, Loss of water followed

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2escape

Reaction score
Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me -- recently moved into an older home (built in 50s) that I'm renting. Was converted from a well to local water but owner never took out the softener. Well, within the past couple days something went bad with the softener, rusty salt started coming through faucets, and long-story short I used the bypass valve to eliminate the Softener. This fixed the rust-water problem, but created a couple concerning things:

1. EXTREMELY low water pressure (to the point of a drip) in the toilets, and in the cold water hookup to the washer. Before the cold water was definitely less pressurized, but this recent change has almost eliminated any water in these specific areas.

2. The hot water has an oddly sweet smell to it.

Any insight into why these two problems would arise would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Sounds like some of that rust broke loose and is clogging the fixtures. Start with the washer. Disconnect the cold water hose at the unit and check the screen filter to see if it is clogged. If so, you know you need to remove all aerators on faucets and clean the other lines such as the toilet, starting at the shut-off valves for each appliance.

Please do not forget to abandon the old well.

Your local county health department or similar office can help with codes in your state.

Being a good stewart of the aquifer and Earth is priceless.;););)

I agree, plug the old well.

You may find the bypass in the old softener is bad and has shut off your water as well as plugged the fixtures, aerators etc.

Being a renter can he/she really doing anything except to clue the landlord in on the problem?

I missed the "Renting" part. I agree, call the landlord. It's his/her problem and they should have to fix it. I know, I'm a landlord (unfortunately).

Back