Question about shower head valve replacement.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeftIsHot

Reaction score
I have a leaking shower. The shower value is one of these all-in-one valves, with one handle for hot and cold. It's about 10 years old. I actually have a replacement valve (pictured). Do these need to be completely replaced (brass assembly and all)? Or can I pull just the plastic and rubber parts out and replace them? If so how do you remove them? I see there's a C-shaped pin that comes out, but this thing is really in there good. How do you pull these out? Do they need to be unscrewed? Clockwise or counterclockwise when looking straight at it?
valve.jpg

I'm not familiar with this specific valve, but if it is only 10 years old, you should be able to pick up a repair kit at one of your local "big box" hardware stores. They usually have detailed instructions on the installation as well. From the photo, it does appear that you would need to pull the c-clip (if accessable) then the guts should pull straight out.

Within a few minutes, I'm hoping a Certified Plumber will chime in and give you some other options.

That is a Moen PosiTemp.

Grab the top of the clip with a pair of pliers, and pull it straight up. Once that is out, grab the brass stem and pull it straight out. This can be pretty difficult. In fact, it is possible that you might have to get a cartridge puller to remove the old cartridge. Most plumbing supply houses should have those in stock.

When you put the replacemet cartridge in, make sure that you put it in right side up, or the hot and cold will be reversed.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back