3 full baths-hot water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolfans

Reaction score
We are househunting and have some questions about hot water heaters. A house we are planning to look at has 3 full bathrooms. Would/should there be more that 1 hot water heater? thanks

It's really based on amount of people, if you have 4 people, a 40 gal is fine. But if you have more than that you will want a 50 gal. Depends a lot on usage. I would say an average shower for the average person probably uses 10 gallons of hot water, as long as it isn't a rain shower head.

There are 6 of us 2 adults,teen girl,3 kids 8,6,4 and teen girl is in the shower most of time for 30 mins to an hr or seems like it

Ah ok well then yeah you may want to consider either another water heater, or a bigger one. Also tankless might be a good option for you depending on what you're willing to spend. Tankless is nice cause its unlimited hot water, however they do require maintenance, and a water softener, if your water has any hardness at all. The tankless are quite efficient too, so they'll pay themselves off in the long run. Call out ideally 3 plumbers and get quotes to do the work, whether you want that extra tank/bigger tank or a tankless water heater

I might shy away from tankless type. Oh they work fine. But with one teen and 3 future teens, having unlimited hot water is not always a good thing. Think high gas bills..

If you have a gas water heater 40 gallons will be a tad small, but as long as you don't have too many people showering at the same time it should be fine. A 50 gallon gas water heater would be a good choice. Not too small and not too big..

With electric I might push for 60 gallons or so. Electrics only recover 18 gallons an hour. So after the teen takes the typical long shower you'll be waiting 2-3 hours for the next showers. Gas recovery varies from 30 ish to 45 ish GPH.

Most standard 3 bath homes has a min. 50 gal. water heater . If the master bath has a large Garden,roman,jacuzzi tub Then you would want more than 50 gallons with a electric water heater -- If you have gas , you want a 50/50 water heater ( meaning 50 gal- 50000 btu's) with 3 baths.

Most standard 3 bath homes has a min. 50 gal. water heater . If the master bath has a large Garden,roman,jacuzzi tub Then you would want more than 50 gallons with a electric water heater -- If you have gas , you want a 50/50 water heater ( meaning 50 gal- 50000 btu's) with 3 baths.

Good catch on the larger bath tubs. A nice roman or jucuzzi tub if it is say 72 inches x 32 inches will need at least an 80 gallon and I sometimes spec 100 gallons as that gives a bit of safety factor if the dishwasher, etc is running at about the same time the tub is being filled.

Same goes for the newer multi-head showers too....

The house has 2 regular tubs and the master bed room bath is a shower only. The house is something like 2600 sq ft. but laid out strange. The house is a barn type house 3 floors(2 baths and water heater etc) then the kitchen is in the middle and a cabin on the side with 1 full bath. Not sure but i don't think there is a water heater under the cabin. Will look with the inspection. thanks

Latest posts

Back