Main clogged

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starcraft27

Reaction score
Water was seeping out the main drain vent outside the house, so I knew I had a clog and rented a 2 1/2" cutter head and motorized snake made for cleaning mains. My line is 4". My girlfriend is horrible about using those wet wipes in the bathroom even though I told her they are bad....

I run the snake and unclog it in about 10 feet and everything looks great. I also see some evidence of those wet wipes. I run water to test and it seems the clog traveled down the line about 60 or so feet from the original location. (I know this by measuring and you can physically hear the where the snake is stuck on the surface of the ground). I keep pushing and using the motor to try to cut in the clog but nothing. Spent about 30 minutes at the clog location pushing back and forth twisting but nothing.

Now I have the plumbing company coming out so I'm paying for the rented machine and the plumber! Bummer, but I"m curious to see what he does. It seems a high pressure water blaster or different device is needed to get this clog. Could be a tree root with debris hanging on it.

Any ideas and any tricks in the future to use in this situation? Is there anything more powerful than a snake available?

Plumber came and got it with a nicer snake than I had. It was self propelled and a bit wider diameter. He just ran it back and forth opposed to the snake I rented which had a motor but still had to fed by hand.

Ran the camera and found two places in the line that need to be repaired due to root invasion.

I have seen quick fixes marketed that supposedly kill these roots. Is there any truth behind them? Something you can flush?

What size is the cable ? If you have the correct size cable and can't get a 2 1/2'' head through a 4'' pipe you should have the drain camera

He used the camera all the way to the street line. The place I was stuck had a lot of roots and one of the areas that needs replacement. I believe it was a 3/4 cable. Not positive though. I rented it from cresco eqipment rentals. I'll be sure to get a self propelled one next time.

Best fix -- replace the drain line from city tap to house if you have Cast Iron, Clay, or Orangeburg -- if it's PVC replace bad section.
Cheap temporary only repair -- flush water softener salt down the toilet once a month, dissolve 2 cups of salt to 1 gallon of water , flush down toilet at night before going to bed so salt can set in drain pipe for awhile. This is a temp repair only. (table salt can not be used)

It is PVC and I will be replacing the 2 bad sections when I have time. Until then I'll try the water softener salt trick.

Thanks

They do have root treatments and from my experience they have worked well. It's basically a herbicide to kill the roots inside the pipe. Again only a temporary fix. I used root x myself

Latest posts

Back