Leaking PRV

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I need some help please. My PRV is leaking about one drop of water every 30 seconds. Yeah, I know it needs to be replaced, but so does the gate valve below it, and the entire configuration. Since I'm going down for surgery again next week, is there a stop gap measure I can do to stop the drip? Can the adjustment bolt be tightened to stop the drip, since it appears to be originating there?

7-13-14a.jpg

7-13-14.jpg

The PRV was shot, so I replaced it. I had also purchased the parts to replace the main gate valve with a ball valve but the street shut off ball valve was frozen. Had I torqued on it anymore, I would have busted it. I called the city and asked them to fix it, since it is on their side of the meter.

A question for the experts. I never checked the pressure with the old PRV, but after installing the new one, the pressure was noticeably lower. Since I couldn't find the pressure gauge, I screwed in the PRV adjustment screw a few turns, until the pressure seemed similar to the old PRV. I then found the pressure gauge (figures, right?) and see the pressure is set to about 71 PSI. Isn't this at about the high end of normal? Should I back it down a bit?

71 PSI is toward the high end of acceptable. Code here requires a PRV anytime the pressure exceeds 80. You will experience faster wear on faucets, fixtures, and piping.

Me? I like a 65-70 PSI shower, and am capable of fixing whatever breaks.

I considered both the Teflon tape as well as a rubber coated washer to temporarily stop the leak, but discovered the water was dripping through a 1/8" hole on the face of the valve, which I presume was placed there as a way to warn homeowners that the PRV was failing. After backing out the adjustment screw, then re-installing it, the one drop a minute changed to one drop every two seconds. This was when I decided to find time to properly repair it.

Thanks for the comments. Phish, I'll reset the pressure a bit lower today.

Latest posts

Back