Toilet leak coming through ceiling?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in desperate need of some help. I apologize in advance for my lack of vocabulary but I'll do my best. I'm remodeling my kitchen and after painting the ceiling, I notice a spot that wouldn't seem to dry. It's right below a bathroom upstairs, specifically the toilet.

I removed the old toilet which was very lose. It roacked back and forth pretty easily. The wax was terribly old and the flange was cracked. The flange was installed above ceramic tile and the tile around it was all cracked. I put one of those flange savers over the old flange and used white silicone on all the cracks and around the flange. I reinstalled the toilet with a new wax ring but it no longer sits flush. I'm not sure if this repair fixed the water problem below. I imagine it will take some time to dry... might have to replace that portion of the ceiling. I guess my question is this... should I remove the toilet again, cut out the old flange and install a new one? I guess I'd have to replace tile around it as well but this might be a better long time sollution.

You don't want to deal with future water damage. Remove your toilet and check to see if your flange repair is installed correct and level. Once this is done, replace your wax gasket and avoid caulking this seam until you are certain you have no more leakage. I've also heard many plumbers double up on the wax gaskets as a form of leak insurance, but will take time to settle and seal correctly.

If it is your intention of cutting the downstairs ceiling in order to repair the damage, you could place a few newspapers in the opening for a few days, and check it often for any signs of leakage before you patch and repaint it.

If you are uncertain if your flange is correctly installed or need a replacement flange, this is when I would call in a professional.

The chances are that you would have to cut out the ceiling to replace the flange. IF YOU DO NOT, AND LEAVE THE TOILET RAISED UP FROM THE FLOOR, MAKE CERTAING TO SHIM THE TOILET WITH PLASTIC SHIMS. Not doing so will allow the toilet to continue rocking and cause another leak. In fact, improperly/unshimmed toilets are probably one of the biggest causes of broken flanges.

If the flange is cracked, it is also possible that the rocking also broke or cracked the pipe below it. Save time and money by doing an inspection of both the pipe and the flange before completing the job and finding out later that you must start all over.

I'm in desperate need of some help. I apologize in advance for my lack of vocabulary but I'll do my best. I'm remodeling my kitchen and after painting the ceiling, I notice a spot that wouldn't seem to dry. It's right below a bathroom upstairs, specifically the toilet.

I removed the old toilet which was very lose. It roacked back and forth pretty easily. The wax was terribly old and the flange was cracked. The flange was installed above ceramic tile and the tile around it was all cracked. I put one of those flange savers over the old flange and used white silicone on all the cracks and around the flange. I reinstalled the toilet with a new wax ring but it no longer sits flush. I'm not sure if this repair fixed the water problem below. I imagine it will take some time to dry... might have to replace that portion of the ceiling. I guess my question is this... should I remove the toilet again, cut out the old flange and install a new one? I guess I'd have to replace tile around it as well but this might be a better long time sollution.

Hey
Your flange is cracked it is very risky it will cracked the pipe below, so i suggest you would have to cut out the ceiling to replace the flange.

Thanks

Regards
Ambani

I think the first thing you should do is to fix the water damage first. Because t can lead to growing of molds that is really harmful to human's health as well as to your home. It is much dangerous because the water might came from the toilet.

Latest posts

Back