PBP water lines

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I have a vacation (mobile) home with gray PBP water lines. I missed the boat for a free re-pipe when the company was sued, and now the pipes are in need of replacement. I had planned on repiping myself with copper lines, but I have several people telling me that PEX is the way to go. Can you advise any pros or cons on my options? Thanks!

Pros:
-Pex is cheaper.
-Pex is easier to put together.
-Pex is easier to take apart when you **** it up.
-Pex is lighter, easier to maneuver.
-Pex is more forgiving in that it is somewhat flexible.
-Pex requires no particular talent to assemble, for the soldering-impaired.

Cons:
-The crimp tool for Pex fittings is expensive, if you get one worth using. There are fittings that can connect to Pex without a crimp ring/crimp tool, but their cost negates the savings of switching to Pex. (You may be able to rent a tool, too.)
-Occasionally you'll run into some such bull**** where replacing copper lines means breaking a ground someone has put in... but you don't have that problem.
-Some people... just like copper?

I guess my biggest concern is vermin chewing through the PEX, but the thought of running a manifold would look great and allow me to shut sections off for maintenance, which would be extremely expensive with copper. :confused:

I am a big fan of PEX, we use the Wirsbo/Upinor brand. Connections are made by a tool that expands the end of the pipe, then slip it over the barbed PEX fitting and it contracts within seconds, never had a leak on this stuff. Another good thing about this type is if you are in cold climates, and you don't quite get all the water out when you winterize, the pipe will expand with a freeze,not burst, and then contract to it's original size.

I guess my biggest concern is vermin chewing through the PEX, but the thought of running a manifold would look great and allow me to shut sections off for maintenance, which would be extremely expensive with copper. :confused:

I guess I don't see why they would. Vermin like to chew on things that are warm or vibrating or humming or in the way of food. I s'pose if it gets cold where you are a hot line could be inviting after the water has run for a bit... but I haven't heard of it being a problem.

I guess I don't see why they would. Vermin like to chew on things that are warm or vibrating or humming or in the way of food. I s'pose if it gets cold where you are a hot line could be inviting after the water has run for a bit... but I haven't heard of it being a problem.

I agree with Mightygoat. I've never seen problems, at least (years ago) with swimming pool PVC pipe, with vermin. Did you, havasu, have problems that way with the PBP? Ask your neighbors.

If there's really a problem consider putting the PEX in an insulated sleeve. Or put it in cheap ABS pipe and seal the ends. Just a couple ideas.

I need to repipe my 3 bathroom stack and plan on using PEX. It just makes sense.

hth,

Riley

havasu and all - My understanding as to the issues with PB pipe was the fittings and connections to those fittings would leak over time if not installed correctly. m I remembering this correctly? The problem wasnt in the PB pipe per se. Also, as I recal, IF the PB fittings were installed correctly then there shouldnt be issues.

I may be way off base, feel free to slap me around, but why not just save the $$$ and just periodically inspect the fittings for leaks?

So you want to go from one crap plastic product to another crap plastic product? The lawsuits are just now beginning to roll in. Wait a couple more years and the you know what will really hit the fan.

PB pipe's had a class action lawsuit in the late 90's because not only does the pipe become brittle after time, but the metal connections tend to rust over time and burst without warning. I've already lost one connection to the bathtub supply line, which caused a small flood. Fortunately, my son just happened to be there and caught it before any real damage. This is a second home for me, and is left unattended for weeks at a time. I have and will continue to shut down the water when I leave, because I don't want to walk into a moldy, wet mess. There are pros and cons with both copper and Pex, and am still deciding which direction to go when I replace the pipes in the next month or so.

havasu and all - but why not just save the $$$ and just periodically inspect the fittings for leaks?

The problem is that the pipes are already installed inside the walls, and short of busting out the drywall just to inspect the pipe, how could this be done?

I fix leaks all the time on pex, copper, poly, cpvc, and pvc all the time they all will leak at some point. Most of the pex leaks I fix are where new construction plumbers try to save a fitting and loop the pipe to try and save some money. Now with that being said copper is more expensive. Everyone knows water and metals dont mix its just a matter of time. Pex fittings are also metal and they do have some new plastic fittings. I wouldnt use the plastic fittings as it doesnt make since to crimp a metal ring onto a hard piece of plastic it just doesnt seem all too bright an idea to apply that kind of pressure in my opinion. The pex metal fittings are usually brass they do make some in copper still but either way you are gonna have metal and water contact to possibly leak. If pex is installed correctly its great just dont try to force a bend in it. Just weigh your options and decide what is right for you. There are several houses in our town that are done in poly and have never had a leak. But the same can be said about copper pex and cpvc. In my opinion it all goes back to the install.

You ask 10 people you are liable to get 10 different answers. Keep in mind opinions are like butholes everyone has one they just vary in size, shapes, and smells.

Back