Trap under tub?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bggas400

Reaction score
Hi all...

I'm putting in a new tub and Looking at the plumbing below, there's a trap. Now I have to move the plumbing in 4 or 5 inches because of the configuration of the new tub. Now do I need a trap under my tub? The line Going up is the vent pipe.

Thanks,
Barry

image-3946964109.jpg

If you don't have a trap sewer gas will enter your home through the tub drain. That is the main reason for a trap. Many people mistakenly think there to catch objects that go down the drain.

John

johnjh2o said:
If you don't have a trap sewer gas will enter your home through the tub drain. That is the main reason for a trap. Many people mistakenly think there to catch objects that go down the drain.

John

Yeah that's what I figured. Someone had told me that they had never seen a trap below a tub but everything I've read says that there should be, which makes sense.

Whoever told you that has no knowledge of plumbing. All fixtures are trapped. Either there is an integrated trap built into the fixture (water closet, urinal, etc) or a trap is installed when the fixture is (sinks, showers, tubs, mop basins, etc).

Whoever told you that has no knowledge of plumbing. All fixtures are trapped. Either there is an integrated trap built into the fixture (water closet, urinal, etc) or a trap is installed when the fixture is (sinks, showers, tubs, mop basins, etc).

That's the reason for this forum. to help people that don't have knowledge of plumbing. I'm sure he could teach us a thing or two about his line of work. To each his own.

John

Yeah agreed. Just cause we think its so simple doesn't mean everyone knows all about plumbing. When I started I didn't understand why there were p traps I just knew they were a part of the drain lol. Everyone has there thing like John said.

Wow...didnt realize I'd get "corrected" for pointing out the obvious; that this guy's aquaintance had no idea what he was talking about. I thought I was rather polite, but I suppose I could have sugar coated it a bit. Sorry about that johnjh2o. Perhaps I'd better just stick to the other forums I'm a member of. Good day

One more question on this please... Do I need to move that trap exactly Underneath where the new tub drain is going? I have a new Kohler tub and the drain hole is some 4 inches further out and a couple inches to the right As you can see in the picture.
So I was curious if I could come down with the drainpipe a few inches, then 90 degree with an elbow and over to the trap. will that work?

In my jurisdiction you can do an offset into the trap, but I've done a 45 offset not a 90. Cause I've ran into the exact same problem you are having. But yeah I guess it depends on local codes

Last edited:
I don't want to be quoted, but I think that you can do up to a 24" offset from the fixture drain to the trap inlet under IPC.

If I get really ambitious, I will look it up and reference the code. Don't hold your breath.

Latest posts

Back