Trap outlet same level as disposal outlet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave80906

Reaction score
Is it against code or otherwise ill-advised to have the discharge end of the p-trap at the same level as the discharge port of the disposal? Seems like that might result in water standing in the disposal.

Is it at the same height as the disposal outlet or the bottom of the outlet ell on the disposal? It can be piped without using the outlet ell. A picture would help.

It is close to the same level as the outlet itself, maybe 1/4" lower.

IMAG1141.jpg

It does look that way, but the extension that slips over the ell won't go up high enough to allow that. My bigger concern was just whether the tap into the vertical drain pipe in the wall being virtually as high as the disposal outlet would create a problem.

As long as the disposal outlet is even the slightest bit higher than the trap arm, the disposal will drain completely. Which is what you want to happen, you don't want the disposal to retain water.

This is prime example that people need to explore all options before putting in a deep basin sink. Also... No air gap?

I am not a fan of air gaps, often they fail and leak causing water damage. Fortunately, inspectors in my area do not require them. BUT raise the dishwasher drain line up the the bottom of the countertop and secure it there. Otherwise you will often find ground up food particles in the bottom of your dishwasher...ick!

I would be very concerned about the flexible tube used to raise and connect the trap to the wall tube. Now that is a code violation in my area. NEVER ever use flexible corrugated tubular drainage parts. They are disasters waiting to happen and just not the right way to plumb a sink drain. Eliminate that part!

Edit: I now realize dave80906 did probably use a regular extension tube. Oops, sorry.

Last edited:
I took that to be a standard slip joint extension tube. It could be a flexible connector, hard for me to tell from the picture.

Upon looking at the pic closely a third time, I think you are correct. Never mind.

Last edited:
You already have a hole in your wall, why don't open it up and make it a proper installation with the correct rough in height and a full size clean out .

Sent from my iPhone using Plumbing Forum

Reactions: SHR
I have seen a violation code with the dishwasher drain according to the code need an air gap to prevent pump lose the prime

No links in posts, please

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen a violation code with the dishwasher drain according to the code need an air gap to prevent pump lose the prime

Nonsense. Air gaps help prevent backflow of waste water back in to the dishwasher. They have nothing to do with priming any pump. Johnjh20, I agree with you, dishwasher pumps do not need to be primed.

Removed improper link in quoted post

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have an airgap that is spitting water than you have an issue. If working properly you should not see water. Usually the discharge hose to the disposal is clogged causing water to come out of air gap. Air gaps are code. New dishwashers are suppose to have check valves to prevent backwater but i would not trust that. If water gets back into diswasher it could flood your floor

, every municipality i have worked in, looks the other way, if you strap your hose to the bottom of the counter top.

if a different disposal 90 does not work inconjunction
with a ptrap with out an extension.

lower the san tee in the wall, add a co

Latest posts

Back