Floor coating for concrete shower floor

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reprosser

Infrequent User
Reaction score
Just installed a bathroom in my shop. The floor for the shower is just a depression with a drain in the concrete. The finishing of the concrete left some rough spots.

What is the best coating to use for the shower area? Epoxy is what comes to mind.

What type of material do you have on the walls? Is the seam watertight? Is it possible you could add a picture, so we could provide you with some ideas?

Just framed up at the moment - have not decided for sure on walls. Probably green sheetrock.

bathFrame.jpg

My question was about what to put on the floor, but any suggestions are appreciated.

Nice! After seeing the picture, I would go with tile, but then again, tiling is my specialty.

Another vote for tile, both for the floor and the walls, at least in the shower area. Not that expensive if you go with bare bones smaller tile.

I would use Hardi backer or Durack cement board instead of Green board since that will hold up al ot better but for the floor yes tile is the way to go.

Wife has declared that tile grout is too much trouble to keep clean. She wants a "no grout cleaning" solution. The only thing I know of is a painted epoxy floor (how many coats?). The depression is not sized for any standard shower tray.

This is basically a big shower room with a toilet. A utility sink will be placed outside the room on the wall by the door.

Last edited:
If you do go the route of epoxy make sure you add a non slip agent to it so you dont break any legs while showering.

ground walnut shells

Ouch...maybe some roofing nails as an added treat. I guarantee you won't slip! :D

Seriously, I just epoxied my garage, where I had a bad slipping problem. I added two bags of the silica sand to the epoxy, and double coated the really bad areas. It worked great!

Went with 2 coats of epoxy with traction sand, and it looks great.

BathfloorPaint.jpg

Going with 500 Hardiebacker for the walls, seal the joints, and paint.

Great job! I would have never considered the epoxy for that purpose, but it works! By the way, is your upper concrete ledge tapered towards the drain? If not, pay close attention to details to avoid water leakage/mold/etc.

Last edited:
Good question...I will have to check on the ledge and make sure water is not going to run away from the drain and into the sill.

Unfortunately, the concrete finishers were given incorrect instructions and did not finish this as the final product :mad:(they were told a shower pan would be installed). I spent a lot of time smoothing all the edges and corners before painting, and I will need to put down some caulk around the bottom edge of the wall.

You sound similar to my wife. She has tiled floors, walls, kitchen counters, ceramic flower pots, jewelry boxes, patio tables, pictures, and the tops of end tables. I'm afraid if I sleep too soundly, I will wake up with tile underware, if you know what I mean! :D

Latest posts

Back