HELP! New Sink set up?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcintoshmc

Reaction score
Okay, I had new countertops along with a new sink in stalled. i assumed that I would just be able to mimic the old set up prior to the install, but I was wrong.

I had to purchase new flanges because they took my old ones when they disposed of my old sink. I have attached photo of before and after. I bought a new 6 in tail piece looking to mimic the old setup, but the tail piece doesnt align with the p-trap. I went to lowes 4 times trying to figure this out, and what I ended up doing just to get the sink operational was slide the p-trap up the tail piece about 2-3 inches, and then force the tail piece towards myself, so that I could slide the end of the p-trap to align with the pipe coming from the wall.

In doing this, I moved the flange exposing more of the putty in the sink, and creating a leak. I currently have a bucket under there.

How can I fix this?

new sink old setup.jpg

new sink with 6 in tail piece.jpg

new sink opening with old set up.jpg

new sink old setup2.jpg

You cut the drain off altogether, on the horizontal part then
use a transition coupling (rubber) and go to pvc/abs. You would need the transition coupling to go from 1 1/2 copper to 1 1/2 pvc/abs and then get a union trap 1 1/2 and a 1 1/2 trap adapter. That's how I would do it.

Latest posts

Back