Poorly placed vent pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookingterm

Reaction score
I have a vent pipe connected to my kitchen sink/dishwasher that runs up to the roof through my counter. I'm in the middle of a remodel, and I'm planning on moving the blasted thing. Here's the problem: When we took off the masonite walls, there were 5/8" planks nailed across the studs with blown-in insulation behind. We'd like to avoid taking off the boards and dealing with that mess. My city uses the Uniform Plumbing Code from 2006, and check vents are a no-go. Are there any other options we could try?

I am having trouble visualizing and understanding your situation from your description.

Am I understanding you correctly that the vent pipe is exposed, and runs through your countertop up to the ceiling?

Yes, that's correct. I'm not sure why someone thought it should go there, but there it is.

By check vent are you referring to an "Air Admittance Valve"?

These are definitely approved by the International Plumbing Code 2006 for this application.

International Plumbing Code Section 917 allows for this.

I would recheck regarding the adopted code allowing an AAV. I know that the code used here in Florida allows them, and IIRC, a plumbing "code help" book that I read several times that addressed both the Uniform and International codes didn't mention that one or the other code didn't allow them.

Personally, I am not the biggest fan of AAV's, but they do have their place. If it were me, I would probably cut the boards out in one stud bay and conventional vent that way. Use some batt insulation to reinsulate that cavity, and be done with it.

Latest posts

Back