Pipe Freezing Tools

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skilbane82

Reaction score
I am looking into to buying a pipe freezing kit. I am familar with the Ridgid SF-2500 and was wondering if anyone had any experience with other brands or products and what they thought. Thanks

Where is the pipe your trying to freeze? Before they had any kits we would freeze the lines with dry ice. The problem with most kits I have seen they freeze a very small area.

John

The only one i have experience with is the Ridgid one. It would plug a small area so you could put a valve in or whatever you needed. It wasnt overly heavy to lug around either.

I used the Ridgid on for years on 2" pipe and it worked pretty well. Just don't soldier to close to you r plug or you get wet. We always had to use silver soldier with oxygen and acetylene so a little warmer.

I know this post is a little old but I swear by my Rofrost Turbo 2. I have owned one for about 5 years now. I have never had it serviced and it still works as new. I use it least once a week at it still freezes down to minus 35 degrees centigrade.

Here's a link

We sometimes need to freeze a water service in The street to repair or replace an angle meter stop before the water meter. Other than that you would either have to shut down the whole street or dig up the main and hope the corp stop is still usable.

Freezing is used anywhere you can't shut down a live line.

Gotcha.. all that does is freeze the line to stop water flow.. that's pretty nifty..

Ever have a problem with pipes bursting?

Chris said:
Where would one get enough nitrogen to freeze an 18" pipe?
You don't need at lot it's more about technique in how it's done, we used to freeze 1" pipes from initial setup it was about 15 minutes on a hot line. Unlike a standard CO2 setup, nitro does it in a fraction of the time.

Last edited:
I was wondering why people would would freeze pipes and now I know the answer..We have to shut down the water lines when we are fixing things so TIL it will be more efficient to just freeze it up..

If you don’t want plumbing in your home frozen, then don’t let the inside temperature go under the freezing mark, and make sure any pipes that have no protection from the elements are thoroughly insulated. The pipes may freeze if the surrounding temperature drops below freezing. If they freeze, it will be awhile for them to gradually warm. Therefore, it will take some time for you to have running water again. However, your pipes can explode, as well – making a huge plumbing bill.

Latest posts

Back