Making a concrete sink.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
OK I am cheap and creative. I am probably going to go with concrete counter tops on my BBQ island and would like to do a concrete sink as well (All one piece with the counter) has anyone done or seen this. I did find a website a while back that had alot pics of ones people have done and I thought they were pretty cool. I am worried about it cracking or just not lasting. What are your thoughts? My second option was to make one out of clay and install it, my mother has a kiln and the clay so that I could make it and have it fired. I just cannot make sense of spending 100 bucks on a SS sink when I am out of work and don't want this to slow my project down.

I have never seen this done before. Considering that concrete is not waterproof would you use some type of sealer or would you just live with the permeability issues?

Interesting idea, if you do this, be sure to post pictures.

My wife and I also want to explore building our own concrete counters with built in sinks. There was a recent TV episode from Dirty Jobs, where Mike Rowe helped build one. Also, we have seen a segment of Rock Solid, where those two cousins built concrete countertops.

Watching these segments has really got me intrigued. I do know you begin with a melamine (sp) sub-structure, and wax the inside for ease of removal. The edges are caulked to give it a nice round edge, but is later worked on after the curing process. The concrete has fiberglass reinforcing, and both segments had wire mesh and rebar for strength. Once the colored concrete is poured, vibrators are used to remove the air pockets. After curing, the mould is removed and then there are several steps of polishing, with a final coat of wax.

This is about all I was able to gather from these segments. I know it is a hard process, and is built upsidedown, but the finished product looks great. I hope someone with some experience can chime in, in order to fill in the gaps I left out.

I found the site I looked at, it doesn't have the best info but some ideas. I actually found some good info in the handyman america magazine I was looking at somewhere.

I will take pictures as I go if I go this route and I will probably seal it the best I can but I am not to terribly worried since mine will be used outside anyway.

I haven't seen concrete before, but I have hooked up granite sinks.

The granite had a place hand ground out for the basket strainer. We obviously couldn't use putty and had to use Silicon. It looked awesome.

My favorite bar has a polished concrete bar-top. It is awesome! The edge looks "unfinished" and beautiful.

I am liking the unfinished look on the edge I am just wondering what I can use to make it, The unfinished look I want is like what you see on retaining wall block almost like the edge of broken concrete but somewhat smoothed out if that makes any sense.

try making a rough casting shell from wooden shuttering with the voids etc etc, leaving a lip on the edge(s) pre cast the sink, before casting the counter top slab, box out the place for the sink, set the sink in and plaster it up. I think you could get an epoxy coating on it or try a cement based waterproofing agent like "sika cemflex" to help with the leaking. Your probably better off buying a ss sink though!!! Its just not worth the time!!!

Back