DIY question - water softener and sodium filters

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MegaMe

Reaction score
I am putting in a water softener myself. I am really looking forward to learning to sweating the copper pipes.

My questions if anybody could help me understand.

1.) Confused, yes or no - should I run soften water or unsoften water to the kitchen?

2.) If I run soften water to the kitchen, do they make an inline filter for removing sodium I could put inline right before my pipes get to the kitchen? Can anybody recommend one?

3.) If I put a whole house large sediment inline filter before a water softener, do I run the risk of reducing water pressure too much? Can anybody recommend an inline cartridge whole house filter?

4.) If I do run Pex tubing, I read somewhere about it reducing circumference over long distances (or something like that), is this something to worry about?

5.) Is there really a difference between water softeners? I am thinking about buy a Norton System Saver. Morton System Saver Demand Softener 34,000 Grain Model MSD34C Reviews - Walmart.com

Thank you guys!

I am putting in a water softener myself. I am really looking forward to learning to sweating the copper pipes.

1.) Confused, yes or no - should I run soften water or unsoften water to the kitchen? Yes, you should run it throughout the house, but not your front or rear yards.

2.) If I run soften water to the kitchen, do they make an inline filter for removing sodium I could put inline right before my pipes get to the kitchen? Can anybody recommend one? The sodium will not be a concern, therefore no salt filter would be necessary.

3.) If I put a whole house large sediment inline filter before a water softener, do I run the risk of reducing water pressure too much? Can anybody recommend an inline cartridge whole house filter? A good whole house filter should not restrict your water flow. There are several good choices of filters, but the biggest concern is the availabilty of replacement cartridges, and ease of replacing the cartridge.

4.) If I do run Pex tubing, (Check with your local building code enforcement as Pex is still prohibited in numerous places, much to the disagreement of some persons on this site)I read somewhere about it reducing circumference over long distances (or something like that), is this something to worry about?
Are you running a manifold with your Pex, so each individual line will have the same pressure and you avoid cutting and splicing the Pex? Unless you have an unusual long run or a high volume need in one specific area, you should be just fine.

5.) Is there really a difference between water softeners? I am thinking about buy a Norton System Saver. Morton System Saver Demand Softener 34,000 Grain Model MSD34C Reviews - Walmart.com This unit seems fairly good for the price. The more energy efficient they get, the higher price you will find.

Thank you guys!

I hope this helps. This is just my opinion, and hopefully someone with expertise in soft water systems will chime in shortly.

I agree, salt is not problem with drinking water. If your concerned about the salt, drink beer.

I don't have any use for inline filters. They don't take out anything that would be harmful to you, so why waste the money?

There are far better places to buy water filtration other than big box stores.

Get your water tested before even thinking about buying one. Also check the chlorine to see how high it is. Softeners don't like chlorine. You might want to add a carbon filter in front of it to remove the chlorine. You may even have ammonia along with the chlorine not to mention the fluoride in your water. If you want to worry about something harmful, those three items would be my biggest concern.

What brings you to wanting a softener? My father insists on having one at every house he has owned but I wouldn't take one if you paid me. To me the water tastes horrible and it leaves spots worse than hard water on everything. I don't have one on my house now and the water doesn't taste bad at all and I guess I don't have hard water because I don't get spots on anything. In my opinion they are a waste of money.

What brings you to wanting a softener? My father insists on having one at every house he has owned but I wouldn't take one if you paid me. To me the water tastes horrible and it leaves spots worse than hard water on everything. I don't have one on my house now and the water doesn't taste bad at all and I guess I don't have hard water because I don't get spots on anything. In my opinion they are a waste of money.
I agree that the water doesn't taste as good, it's bland because there are no calcium or magnesium to taste.
Softeners are beneficial though. They make you clothes last longer, they save you on soap, coffee and practically anything you mix with water. They keep your plumbing clean. Keep you from going bald... OK, maybe not that, but they are beneficial. You can always put a drinking water faucet at the kitchen sink if you want to drink unsoftened water.

I wouldn't be without one unless my water was soft already.

My first question would be: how hard is your water and does it contain iron? If so, how much iron. Depending on those levels the sodium in your softened water will vary accordingly. Any advice would be a guess without more information.

1.) Confused, yes or no - should I run soften water or unsoften water to the kitchen?
No, I would run softened water and add an RO to remove sodium.

2.) If I run soften water to the kitchen, do they make an inline filter for removing sodium I could put inline right before my pipes get to the kitchen? Can anybody recommend one?
There is no in-line filter that removes sodium except an RO and some nano-membranes to a degee.

3.) If I put a whole house large sediment inline filter before a water softener, do I run the risk of reducing water pressure too much? Can anybody recommend an inline cartridge whole house filter?
A whole filter before the softener will keep the softener lasting longer. There is always a risk of reducing pressure whenever ANYTHING interrupts flow. I put prefilters on all my softeners and thye prove themselves a great value.

4.) If I do run Pex tubing, I read somewhere about it reducing circumference over long distances (or something like that), is this something to worry about?
No, nothing to worry about.

5.) Is there really a difference between water softeners? I am thinking about buy a Norton System Saver. Morton System Saver Demand Softener 34,000 Grain Model MSD34C Reviews - Walmart.com
Yes, there is a great diffenerence in water softeners. performance, warranty, longevity, capacity and many other aspects can differentiate between quality and junk. The Morton brand is the Huffy bicycle of water softeners, cheap in both price and quality.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Thank you guys!

Latest posts

Back