How fix a loose Toilet tank handle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_David

Easily Amused
Professional
Reaction score
Well I had to replace my toilet tank handle so I thought I'd share a little tip that can be helpful.
Often the hole in the tank is larger than the square sides of the handle that are supposed to keep the handle in place.

So I made a video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMouU8y3epE]YouTube - Toilet Tank Handle[/ame]

I'm literary challenged and the video is my best shot at sharing this tip.

Nice video Dave!

Phish, Dave's video shows how many times, the square in the porcelain tank is manufacturered a bit too large, so when you insert the toilet tank handle, it will rattle about an eighth of an inch in all directions. He uses plastic copper pipe hold downs/supports, which are about the same thickness as the eighth inch gap in the porcelain. By cutting the wings off the supports, he inserts them into the gap between the handle and the porcelain. Once the handle is tightened, there is no more rattling from the loose fitting handle.

Ahhh, the old oversized flush handle hole!

I always keep several CTS flat straps and suspension clamps in a bucket in my truck. Next time I run into problems with a loose flush handle, I will give this a try.

Latest posts

Back