pipe locating

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenl

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have a way to locate a copper water pipe running under a slab. I have a leak in my line somewhere between the holding tank 60 feet from the house and my basement. I'm trying to figure out where to dig by the basement as there is no indication where the line might exit the house. If anyone has a great way to locate a leak without digging up the entire line also, I'm all ears.

There's companies out there that can locate pinhole leaks with a sound testing device. Not every plumbing company carries this. Where I'm at, most times the guys who have that kind of gear have their own business, and that's all they do.

Thanks Matt--I'll see who might offer that service here in Spokane.

I have a leak locator and a line locator. Leak locator is what matt says and you listen for the leak, if you are going to call out a company to do it turn your water off for as long as possible before hand because when it is saturated it is much harder to here the exact location, also to do do it as early in the morning as possible because outside noise is also a problem. Now on the line locator I can clip it to the copper and trace it exactly where it goes and give you depth. I usually locate then look for the leak.

Thanks for the heads up Chris. These guys are so booked up that I'm not sure I'll get to pick the time of day, but I will certainly keep it in mind.

Back