Tips on Replacing Main 3/4" Shut-Off Valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qosmioamit

Reaction score
Hello all

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I have attached a few pictures to show the current situation. I would like to replace the 3/4" gate valve downstream of the water meter to my house shown in the picture. There are two concerns with the valve:
1) The valve is passing
2) The valve leaks water when I open or close

To stop the leak, I have to have a wrench handy each time I open or close the valve to tighten the packing nut

As you can see in the picture, there is less than an inch gap between the elbow and the valve, so if I cut out the valve, soldering will be a hassle.

My personal preference is to use a shark bite valve.

Another thought would be to keep the valve body and replace the stem or repack it.

I need a good plan of action because I have to call the city to shut-off the valve upstream that is outside the house and the city does not want me tampering with their valve. After the city shuts off the valve, I will have an hour-long window to resolve the situation before they return.

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

Many times, you can unscrew the valve and if lucky, can find an identical replacement. I've done that more than a few times with success. Obviously, you will still end up with a stupid gate valve, but it will last you another 10-20 years. I believe this is much more appropriate than replacing those ever-hated sharkbite fittings.

Looks like a globe not a gate.

Dahl Try their web sight. Maybe they can help you

Last edited:
what is under the wrap below the valve?

Does not look like you have enough clean pipe to use a sharkthingy.

Get a new meter union and a new valve. prefab the valve to the union.
Or just get a new meter valve with the meter union already on it. when they turn off the water just disconnect the the old union and valve install new valve and turn it off. Now you can control the water with new valve. Then take your sweet time connecting back to your line out.
We use Jones valves here. use a ball valve.

meter swivel nut union X FIP

Or take your pickMeter valves

Looks like a globe not a gate.

Dahl Try their web sight. Maybe they can help you

Thanks for tip! I reached out to Dahl and they provided me a free stem. You were right that it is not a gate, but a globe valve. I replaced the stem yesterday and now it works like new. It's hopefully resolved for another 20 years! :D

valve.jpg

valve2.jpg

Latest posts

Back