Indirect waste receptor

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britkath

Reaction score
Per IPC, can a floor mounted Janitor's sink function as both a janitor's sink, and an indirect waste receptor?

Chapter 8, Indirect and Special Wastes, does not clearly state whether or not a floor sink can be used as a waste receptor, Chapter 2, Definitions, does not define a waste receptor. The janitor's sinks that I have installed do have a removable strainer or basket, which is one of the stipulations for a waste receptor in Chapter 8.

So, while I am not the code authority in your or any other area, I would say yes, and be prepared to argue with the inspector on that point. I don't see where the sink being used for a janitor's sink has any bearing on whether or not it can serve as a waste receptor.

It also depends on what is being discharged into the janitor's sink (mop sink?)
In my area, the janitor's sink can only receive the indirect discharge of clear liquids such as condensate or clear water overflow and emergency discharges.
Any fixture that could discharge solids or debris that may clog sink's strainer are not allowed to empty into it.

Latest posts

Back