I have a leak in my thingy?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwinkleToes

Reaction score
It really ticks me off when my wife, who doesn't know beans about anything, calls everything a THINGY. She told me today that the thingy under the sink was leaking. I checked the "thingy" out and saw that there actually was a leak where a white pipe hooked up with a black pipe. The white pipe was sticking out the bottom of the sink and was about the length of a ruler with 2 or 3 inches missing. The water was coming out at the top of the black nut where the two pipes came together. My neighbor, who graduated from high-school, told me that the trouble was that my black pipe shouldn't have been doing business with my white pipe. You can't mix colors, he said.

Since when did it become necessary to be an interior decorator to do plumbing? Aside from his head, does my neighbor have a point?

It really ticks me off when my wife, who doesn't know beans about anything, calls everything a THINGY. She told me today that the thingy under the sink was leaking. I checked the "thingy" out and saw that there actually was a leak where a white pipe hooked up with a black pipe. The white pipe was sticking out the bottom of the sink and was about the length of a ruler with 2 or 3 inches missing. The water was coming out at the top of the black nut where the two pipes came together. My neighbor, who graduated from high-school, told me that the trouble was that my black pipe shouldn't have been doing business with my white pipe. You can't mix colors, he said.

Since when did it become necessary to be an interior decorator to do plumbing? Aside from his head, does my neighbor have a point?
You can do it but, never before Easter.

I believe he was referring to black ABS pipe and white PVC pipe, and the glue you would need to join them together. Under the sink, it is common to have white and black plastic pipes used together, but are usually coupled together with plastic unions which are tightened only with your hands in order to access the "P" trap.

Most kitchen sinks drop into a hole cut in the top of the countertop and are supported by the base cabinets and the countertop. With an apron-front sink, the sink slides into an opening in the front of the countertop. Its support comes from the base cabinet only. Understand the weight of an apron-front sink can reach several hundred pounds when filled with water. Your base cabinet must be of a material strong enough for supports to be installed that accommodate that weight. Most manufacturers list the weight of the apron-front sink.

Latest posts

Back