What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just spit coffee on my keyboard!!!!!!!!

my nephew installs windshields, he was on the phone with his next job, getting directions

when he was cut off in traffic. he yelled out the window "stupid Afro American" used a different word

the lady he was talking to was Black, she got all bent out of shape, she hung up. called his boss

he was fired. dumbass

wait, it gets better..

he had a ticket, went to court. the clerk did something he did not like. so, as he turned to leave. he said

AGAIN "stupid Afro American"

he was snatched up and spent 2 days in jail did i say....dumbass?

Last edited:
I installed a Sharkbyte last night. And that I pretty much never do, at least not on more than an overnight basis. I did a shower valve changeout with copper water pipe, and when I was done, there was a pinhole leak in the wall of the copper pipe just below my coupling on the hot side.

I could just imagine seeing that leak migrate down the piping as I tried to repair it with solder couplings. The inside of the old piping had a really thick green coating.

I am starting to consider ProPress.

My day was just plain lazy. I fixed a broken Christmas light, which darkened about 3' of the string, only to just look outside and see it not working again. Dammit to hell, I'm just gunna go out and pick up a replacement 18 footer. I told you my day was lazy!

I installed a Sharkbyte last night. And that I pretty much never do, at least not on more than an overnight basis. I did a shower valve changeout with copper water pipe, and when I was done, there was a pinhole leak in the wall of the copper pipe just below my coupling on the hot side.

I could just imagine seeing that leak migrate down the piping as I tried to repair it with solder couplings. The inside of the old piping had a really thick green coating.

I am starting to consider ProPress.

propress is cool as hell!!!! you ever use it?

No I haven't.

I have read up on it, seen the tools, considered the reason for using it. But the investment is a rather large one, considering that 99% of the time I can just solder the connection. JetSweat is my little friend. Until I run into these type of situations.

my take on them, i used one to do a few jobs. for construction. they are great for 1 1/4 and up.
the little stuff. its a toss up, between saving man hours and the price of fittings

on leaks, it will save your butt, I had to put a 2" ball valve on incoming soft copper loop. the meter was dribbling.

I thru the valve on, squeezed the trigger. Done. solidering would have taing me awhile

the battery operated one. {ridgid} i never used,

the 110 volt i used was COOL. about 4 seconds per press

stuff you gotta look out for, the machine tends to "twist" the fitting. You had better have it pointed where you want it

DO NOT, use your band saw to cut copper, if you do, the burrs will cut the o-ring

only thing that worries me, is the oring. how long will it last?

a propress and a T-drill are worth there weight in gold. they are expensive

after they are paid for, they make money

Last edited:
A similar product to Jet Sweat is sold here...I keep saying I'm going to pick up a few...then I dont...then I get into a situation where it would make things so much smoother...then I get mad....then I curse....then somebody gets offended...then I curse more...then people cry....then the boss is called...then the boss calls me...then I'm in trouble again....then im in the passenger seat instead of the drivers seat....then I go home and get lippy with the woman...then I'm on the couch again...then I go back to work and the rest of the week is just this endless rambling cycle of rage oh my god I'm ordering jet sweat right now

Frodo, that is awesome about going to the dump and picking stuff up. I'm a bit of a hoarder so I always feel sad when stuff that can be useful is tossed away. The local dump doesn't let people dig through stuff though. :-(

I wish I could find the picture, but one day I saw a guy across the street from my elderly friend tossing out a perfectly nice wooden chair-- real wood, not that particle board crap. I mentioned it to my friend and he said he wished he could have a better look at it. He was in his late 80s and couldn't walk very well. So I went and grabbed it. The seat had split and a few things needed to be glued back together. So together we dismantled it enough to get some glue in, clamped it up, wiped it down, sanded it and stained it. My friend was a very good carpenter. He helped build the cabinets in my house. He also once built a spinning wheel using old techniques and wood. He did such a good job that an antiques appraiser thought that it was over 100 years old only a few months after it was made.

About the sharkbite fittings... Are they bad or something? Did the fitting cause the leak? I'm thinking of hooking some PEX to some existing CPVC lines and possibly some copper lines and I want something that even my addled monkey skills can handle. I know you guys mentioned something about it in another thread.

Meanwhile I'm looking at online deals for stuff I want. Amazon is having a sale on Black & Decker tools (10% off). There is a 6 piece kit of the Matrix. The attachments it has (that I don't already have) are about $100 if bought separately.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PK4XY90/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I admit part of the reason I want it is because of the case. LOL. Plus its nice to have extra parts-- especially since my handy friend keeps my Matrix over at his house most of the time because he uses it a lot-- although I have it now (he has some of my attachments at his house though).

The other thing on my wish list is http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZSUVHK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 but I think I can get tigerdirect to price match and then use a coupon to get another discount. My brother ninja'd my 26" monitor so I can't use my desktop and we don't have any other working monitors that aren't being used. I like to play with computer graphics and look at photos so the IPS thing would be very cool.

I'm going to have to take my friend on our monthly trip to Sam's club about an hour away today.

Man, I'm really babbling. LOL. Got stomach problems from something I ate so I couldn't sleep. Peanutbutter is my friend.

phishfood, that made me have fond memories of using a band saw in woodworking class for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
I successfully snaked the drain from a cleanout near the septic tank with a 50' snake. At one point it didn't want to go any farther and kept bending and the bent part started to stick in to the hole that led to the septic tank instead of going farther into the pipe toward the house. So I had to stick my arm all the way past my elbow down in to the cleanout and put my hand behind the bend and shove it forward to get the snake to move. It fed cleanly for awhile after that, but I had to put my arm back in and keep feeding it for the last 10 or so feet. I got about 49 feet of the snake in. Finally heard the sweet sound of success-- gushing water and saw the brown flowing. I spent a few minutes moving the snake around to make sure it was clear and had my brother flush the toilet a few times to see that it was flowing ok and there was no gurgling in the shower.

I know it may seem silly for me to be so proud of myself, but it was the first time I did that (but probably not the last) and I'm very happy. Tomorrow I'm going to take the toilet off and replace the wax ring. I don't know for certain if it blew, but I want to be on the safe side.

Well it's been awhile since I've checked in and hope all you folks are doing good, today I pretty much finished Christmas shopping, Costco run and cleared the ice off the driveway and sidewalks. Since April I made a switch to commercial construction and haven't looked back, miss the service work occasionally but I'm really enjoying construction. I'll post some photos soon of the domestic water system I piped between two mechanical rooms.

zanne, i donot fittings in a wall that are pushed together, i do not like plastic tubing, mice eat it

i like copper. if it is not copper. n my opnion it is not done correctly;

all of this new piping is a old song and dance. back in the early 80's poly pipe was the thing, fittings failed. rats ate the pipe
i have made a ton of money replacing it with copper.

if you are strapped for cash, use cpvc solvent weld pipe. [glue]

Thanks, guys. Hopefully the wax ring replacement will go ok. I think that I will bring the snake in just in case and run it down the hole and move it a round just to make sure the blockage is cleared. It always seems to get blocked up when the weather turns cold-- but the plumber did say that the pipe is not sloped properly.

I know the hot water pipes are CPVC, but I think my father goofed and used PVC for the cold water back in the 80s. Plus the tenants dicked around with the water supply lines as well, so I don't know what I'll find.

Mice area concern since there are so many of them and I know the house isn't sealed up well enough to keep them out.

My mother mentioned that maybe I can replace the nasty piece of OSB underneath her toilet (it was a temporary fix and doesn't span the studs) when I'm replacing the wax ring. It made me think about taking it off and looking at what I'm up against, then getting some treated plywood to span the studs (which will involve more removal of some of the existing floor), temporarily removing one of the braces for the shelf system (the one that has the toilet paper holder on it) and installing the vinyl sheet. Although I was planning to wait for that when we got a new tub and surround. But what I might do is lay the vinyl sheet in place and use the sticky tape for the edges, but leave it so there is room for it to be moved if necessary for the tub stuff-- but I will have to seal it so water doesn't get under if it runs down the tub.

Should I wait til I have the tub, or should I go for it now? I was planning on re-doing the whole subfloor eventually, but with the way I procrastinate, not sure if its something I'd ever get around to. I will have to get my bathroom finished first. I need to stop procrastinating. I think I'll get on that tomorrow... :p

Today it is raining and I decided to not go to work. In sitting on the couch contemplating kegging some hard cider that I made.

Back