Residential Water Pump - Repair?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Im trying to seek help for a problem I'm having in my residence. I believe my house has a water pump, not sure since I cant see it or find it for that matter, but it is making a weird vibration at times. In my utility room on the inside wall there is an insert for Hot and Cool water with a trap hole for my washer. Approx 2ft above that is a copper pipe that makes a U shape in my drywall. It has a shut off, and a black solenoid looking thing. It comes out from the wall, then back into the wall.

Behind that pipe is where I hear water pumping when I operate any faucet in my house, and just recently, the vibration. It will vibrate after a toilet flush, and will only stop after I shut off the valve and turn it back on. I have looked everywhere in my house for an access, but Im on a slab, and there is no attic access to the spot I believe it is located. Has anyone ran into this type of pump or have experience repairing one? Is it located behind drywall and will I need to cut out drywall to access it?

It is important to note it is a newer model home in a subdivision.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

20120414_122829.jpg

The vibration occurs almost directly behind this pipe.

I'm no expert on this, but this looks like a pressure reducing valve to me. The lower shut off handle seems partially closed, and if so, does the noise go away when fully opened?

Keep in mind that the experts will be closely behind, and give you the exact answer you are looking for.

humming sounds, i'd be looking into a worn washer on a shutoff or a prv, if the hum is coming from this area then perhaps a replacement valve is in order ( the prv ) i doubt your running a pump.

I talked to a plumber and he said it is unlikely that i have a pump as well. He said it could be air in my lines, is that possible? the vibration and humming sounds like it is coming from behind the drywall, not from the actual valve itself, though i can feel that pipe vibrating while i hold it.

you need a new prv. the washer is loose and vibrating. air in the lines wouldnt do this, not on potable water anyways, if you had air in the lines it would cause faucets and such to gurgle and spit when they are turned on. I would have the prv replaced, and I;d bet dollars to doughnuts the problem is gone.

also as has been suggested, that shutoff valve is not a throttleing valve and should be either in the fully open or fully closed position, where it is now it will harden up with mineral deposits and be un usealbble when in the future you do need to use it .

The black round thing is the PRV.

I cannot be 100% certain, but from your picture there appears to be a union on the bottom of the PRV. If you can find the exact same brand, size, and model number of PRV to replace it with, that would make things much easier for you.

Shut the water off to your home, loosen and completely unthread the big nut on the union. Then, using two wrenches, one on the hex on the copper pipe to hold back against the other wrench on the PRV, unthread the PRV. Using teflon tape and pipe dope on the male (copper) threads to seal that connection, thread the new PRV back on and tighten it up with the two wrenches. Then thread the union nut back onto the new valve and tighten. Turn the water back on and check for leaks.

If, however, that is not a union, the job becomes considerably more difficult, and if you don't feel comfortable soldering, you might consider hiring a plumber to do it for you.

Latest posts

Back