Giant Tuna Fetches $177,000 at Japan Auction

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
I found my new fishing spot. I go tuna fishing several times a year and this is just incredible. My biggest was 65 pounds so far.

TOKYO — A giant bluefin tuna fetched 16.3 million yen ($177,000) in an auction Tuesday at the world's largest wholesale fish market in Japan.

The 513-pound fish was the priciest since 2001 when a 440-pound tuna sold for a record 20.2 million yen ($220,000) at Tokyo's Tsukiji market.

The gargantuan tuna was bought and shared by the owners of two Japanese sushi restaurants and one Hong Kong-based sushi establishment, said a market representative on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to disclose the information.

Caught off the coast of northern Japan, the big tuna was among 570 put up for auction Tuesday. About 40 percent of the auctioned fish came from abroad, including from Indonesia and Mexico, the representative said.

Japan is the world's biggest consumer of seafood with Japanese eating 80 percent of the Atlantic and Pacific bluefins caught. The two tuna species are the most sought after by sushi lovers.

However, tuna consumption in Japan has declined because of a prolonged economic slump as the world's second-largest economy struggles to shake off its worst recession since World War II.

"Consumers are shying away from eating tuna ... We are very worried about the trend," the market representative said.

Apart from falling demand for tuna, wholesalers are worried about growing calls for tighter fishing rules amid declining tuna stocks.

The International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas in November slashed the quota for the 2010 catch by about one-third to 13,500 tons -- a move criticized by environmentalists as not going far enough.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,581966,00.html?test=latestnews

Greatest day lake fishing ever?

Between two of us we caught 19 good sized large mouth bass and one blue gill. We went to a small lake and the boat rental was 16 bucks(cheaper than towing mine out there), great weather nobody there, just a good day. Also every lake in CA is way over fished so you are usually lucky to catch 1 or 2.

On another note I am leaving next Wednsday for a four day fishing trip on Lake Mohave can't wait.

They were all twenty pounds each, we took pictures of every one but then accidently dropped the camera in the lake.

Still working on not being lazy.

That would be pretty sweet.

I got an invitation to go fishing, but then had to decline as I have plans doing something. I don't know, after I was told I have plans I quit listening and pouted.

Pout some more and maybe you will get to go fishing.

Not how it works, but I will be reminded I'm acting like a child if I keep it up.

Like I don't know that.

Latest posts

Back