Adding a sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artaman

Reaction score
I am buying a newly built home with a long counter in one of the bathrooms. I asked the builder if he could add another sink and tie into the existing service and drain lines under the existing sink. He said it would be very expensive and he would have to install additional drain and service lines. Since one sink is already there (with exposed plumbing under this sink) how difficult would it be to just tie into the existing plumbing? What is a ball park estimated cost to do this? Would the builder have to pull a permit (home is in Texas)?
THANKS

Since the builder is going to do things to code, and probably pull a permit, and call his plumber back, and his cabinet guy, and maybe drywall repair, to protect himself, it probably would be quite expensive. I don't deal with the pricing and cost side of the business, so I can't really help with that.

Yeah what Phish said.

Except he forgot paint :D

Plumber for rough in, inspection, finish, and inspection = $400 - $700

Cabinet removal and re-install = $200 - $400

Countertop = Too many variables

Paint = $150 - $250

Plus permits and inspection fees. Likely a 5 - 8 day process.

Adding a bathroom sink to your existing vanity area can be costly and time consuming if you pay a contractor or plumber to do it. You can do this job with a few simple considerations. If you are adding the second sink on the same wall, the basins should be no more than 30 inches apart due to drainage issues and pipes.

I am just finishing up the same thing and posted a couple of questions on another thread here. But I will tell you it is alot of WORK! Don't let the wife talk you into installing a recessed mirror. :eek:

So far, DYI it has cost me about $3K for the parts (new vanity granite/double sink and faucets, mirror box) and I found that the guy before me installed the tile floor AROUND the old vanity. Now I have to re-tile the floor too.

Latest posts

Back