Faucets handles won't turn

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkz

Reaction score
I have a 3 handle tub/shower faucet. Cold side was leaking so I replaced the washer. I also took apart the hot side to check that washer. When I put it back together the stem seemed to stick out farther. The handles won't turn at all. Stuck in on position.
I can see two threads of the white plastic part between the handle and silver cover.
Do I need to screw the stem in more tightly? I am nervous about making it too tight and messing up another part. The YouTube video I used for directions said that making it too tight could damage a $100-$300 part.
Any suggestions? Experience with this?

The water runs warm so both sides are in the on position. Turned it off at the meter.

image.jpg

Last edited:
don't force it. the chrome cover should screw freely on the white plastic nipple. that nipple screws into a packing nut. if the chrome is to tight on the nipple it may have excessively tightened the packing nut and locked the stem from turning remove the chrome escutcheon and nipple and loosen the nut a little
Your picture was hard to look at

image.jpg

stem.jpg

Last edited:
don't force it. the chrome cover should screw freely on the white plastic nipple. that nipple screws into a packing nut. if the chrome is to tight on the nipple it may have excessively tightened the packing nut and locked the stem from turning remove the chrome escutcheon and nipple and loosen the nut a little
Your picture was hard to look at

Thanks for helping me despite the poor picture!
The escutcheon on the cold side came off with the nipple inside it, stuck to it. Would soaking it in a cleaner or maybe some Wd40 fix that or should I buy a new escutcheon and nipple?

Price Pfister escutcheons might fit that. The handle ?? look like after market fit all handles. If the stem looks just like the one I posted then it probably is a Price Pfister.
If you forced the stems out previously when you removed them you may have blown out the seat in the back of the valve. You need to open the valve before you try to remove them. The very coarse thread on the stem acts like a screw jack. If the washer is against the seat the stem will not turn out with the bonnet which has a small thread pitch. It will blow out the seat in the valve and that is not repairable.

N
Price Pfister escutcheons might fit that. The handle ?? look like after market fit all handles. If the stem looks just like the one I posted then it probably is a Price Pfister.
If you forced the stems out previously when you removed them you may have blown out the seat in the back of the valve. You need to open the valve before you try to remove them. The very coarse thread on the stem acts like a screw jack. If the washer is against the seat the stem will not turn out with the bonnet which has a small thread pitch. It will blow out the seat in the valve and that is not repairable.

So you are saying to always open the valve ,when you are going to pull out the stem? Also what is the purpose of the packing washer? Thank you

Latest posts

Back