Toilet bowl overflooding...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b00mer

Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering if a defective lever nut can cause a toilet bowl to overflow?

I thought toilet bowls only overflowed if there was a clog in the toilet bowl, but my friend is telling me that the lever nut in my toilet is broken and causing the flapper to be open and the fill valve to flow water constantly.

But, even if the lever nut is defective, wouldn't the water just keep flowing but not overflood unless there was a clog in the bowl or something?

I know having a flooding toilet is bad, but I just want to prove my friend wrong.

Your friend is wrong, The flap valve as you call it in US fills the toilet it does not matter if water is always going down the toilet, even if you was to put a garden hose down it or a bucket of water it should run away. The problem is a blockage either in the pan or the soil pipe.

I just told my friend what you said and he concedes that a clogged toilet would cause the bowl to overflow.

He also said the water on my floor was from the toilet tank overflowing too... because the defective lever nut kept open the flapper, which let the fill valve continue to flow, which overflowed the tank...

That doesn't make much sense to me either because doesn't the toilet tank have an overflow tube to prevent the tank from overflooding?

The water is fed into the tank by a inlet valve this would have a float on it which rises as the water fills the tank and is set to shut off once the height is correct, there are a few reasons why this would fail and continued to fill. The second major part is the discharge valve, this releases the water from the tank into the pan with the use of a handle.lever or button. If the discharge valve is faulty the water just goes straight down the pan. I think like Europe the US toilets have built in overflows which also discharge straight down the pan.
Unless you have a blockage in the bowl or Toilet outlet pipe work the water should not come over the top of Toliet bowl. is that what's happening?

The toilet bowl is flooding. I get your explanation and I really don't think my toilet would overflood unless there was a clog on the inside. So I just have to get the clog out and everything will be okay right?

My friend is telling me I also have to fix the lever nut inside the tank to make the toilet bowl not flood anymore.

You can smash the entire insides of your tank with a hammer, it still won't stop your bowl from overflowing. The tank supplies water to the bowl, the bowl gets rid of the water.

Deal with one issue at a time, fix the clog in the bowl. Plunge it hard. If that doesn't work then use a snake. once the clog is clear see if things are working right.

Latest posts

Back