Holes & Notches in Studs

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJB

Reaction score
I read that holes need to be 5/8" from the edge of a stud and notches can't exceed 40 percent of a stud's width in a non-bearing wall. In real practice are these strictly adhered to?

Mostly common sense .

Walked on to a job many years ago. This crew( not one of ours) was re-piping a 2 story house.
Let's see if I can draw a clear picture.
They opened the outside stucco wall on the second floor from the attic, behind a shower, down to the ground level. Then they opened a 3 FT high strip at the bottom of the 1st floor horizontally about 8 FT to the outside corner of the building. Then around the corner under 2 windows to the kitchen, maybe 15 FT long. They then FACE Drilled every stud at least half way through, including the corner. :eek: :eek:

2 Story house being held up by 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" lumber.

Could not believe what we were looking at. Time to go back to our own job across the street.

Mostly common sense .

Walked on to a job many years ago. This crew( not one of ours) was re-piping a 2 story house.
Let's see if I can draw a clear picture.
They opened the outside stucco wall on the second floor from the attic, behind a shower, down to the ground level. Then they opened a 3 FT high strip at the bottom of the 1st floor horizontally about 8 FT to the outside corner of the building. Then around the corner under 2 windows to the kitchen, maybe 15 FT long. They then FACE Drilled every stud at least half way through, including the corner. :eek: :eek:

2 Story house being held up by 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" lumber.

Could not believe what we were looking at. Time to go back to our own job across the street.

after seeing that, [butcher work] makes you want to ask the boss for a raise.:D

Latest posts

Back