Jetted Tub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipePig101

Reaction score
I have an existing drop-in jetted tub in good working condition, but my wife wants to change the tile around it. It appears that this would require lifting the tub out (or at least up) and I'm wondering how this is done with no visible means for securing the tub in place. I have two small access panels (18" X 18"?) on the exterior wall for what I assume is to service the pump and drain.

Should I consider this project, or get rid of the wife. :rolleyes:

If the tub is fiberglass, which most drop-ins that I have seen are, the body of the tub will have a little flex to it. Break out the tile, leaving a small section underneath the lip of the tub every 18" or so. Then use a prybar to "carefully" lift the lip up, and slide a shim between the section of tile and the tub. This should give you enough room to get the new tile underneath. Then, after the new tile has set, put shims between the new tile and the tub, remove the last few pieces of the old, and finish the job. IE, get rid of the wife, because it sounds like she is a HoneyDew fountain.:D

Yes, fiberglass, thanks for the info. Sounds like a good amount of finese would be the key to doing it w/o removing the whole kit and kabodle. I'm of the mind that if it works, leave it for the next owner to deal with.

So far, I've got her convinced that changing the floor tiles to a different/darker complimentary color on a 45* will be OK. The tile guys are coming today to do the floor so I'll know more when I get home. I'm just thinking about this now in case it doesn't work out.

Yes, definetly get rid of the wife...:p

Latest posts

Back