I just wrote an article

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phishfood

Professional
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had a FaceBook page for my company for some time, but haven't been doing a very good job of keeping it updated. So today I started to work on it.

I just finished writing an article on drain and sewer stoppages, the causes, and how to prevent them. I am interested in getting both a professional and a non professional take on this article. Professionals, what did I forget to include that would make it more valuable? Non professionals, does this help you to understand your drainage system, what can go wrong with it, how to take care of it, etc?

All thoughts are welcome, both good and bad.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Springtime-Plumbing-Services-LLC/320535234645789

Nice article. VERY thorough:D.
There are some differences in disposal advice between us. I typically recommend scraping plates in the trash first, if possible, and let the disposer take the little bits-o-food that rinse off the rest of the dishes.
I like the mention of rice in the drains, but have also found that egg shells and coffee grounds are just as commonly dumped into the drains and builds up into a mortar-like clog.
Over all it looks as if you put a lot of thought into the article and the honest info and advice will help a lot of customers understand what happens to their drainage system...before you get to the door. The positive comments from the prior customers are awesome, too. Nice to see good things about your company on Facebook. I clicked 'like'.

Very good. I just got an education. No bones huh? I learned that one a bit late in life. I always thought that would be like brushing the disposals teeth. Egg shells, rice and other things that never even entered my mind are also bad. I'll tell the Wife.

Although almost perfect; you did catch a bit of Elmer Fudd Disease: Doing so is to invite Clogged Dwain;)

Great article. Very informational to homeowners. Only difference that would have changed,which is only a matter of opinion, is the kitchen sink clog area. I've always told people that ANYTHING with a starch will back your drain up (ie for lamens- anything that swells when you cook it).

Good common practice is to scrap plates of in the garbage before rinsing them off as well. I tell homeowners, do what you like, but if u want to see less of me when don't use your garbage disposal as a garbage can.

But all in all , great article!

Not to hijack the thread, but if you buy an Insinkerator be sure to check the product registration card that comes with it. If I remember correctly, you will see a check list of items that you may put into the disposal that you just purchased. It lists bones as well as many other items that can harm your disposal. If you check off these items and send the card in, you have admitted to misusing the product and could void the warranty.

Thanks for the feedback so far, keep it coming.

Derrick, next time you are online here, why not shoot Austin or Chris a PM asking for admission to the Pro section? Some of the discussion in there might interest you.

Thanks for the feedback so far, keep it coming.

Derrick, next time you are online here, why not shoot Austin or Chris a PM asking for admission to the Pro section? Some of the discussion in there might interest you.

I got him upgraded!

A lot of information given at one time. I take it the information is for consumers? You may want to write in a story form that will engage your reader. Pretend that you are in front of the customer . They need a beginning middle and end. Roughly translated they need to know why it is bad, what to do, how to prevent it from happening.

Writing is tougher to do than it appears. Good job overall.

Nice write up Phish.

If you are going to make a project of writing articles for your Facebook page, I recommend less volume.

Any one of the things in your article could make for a decent article by itself. I view FB as a place for briefer posts. For longer posts you might want to consider a genuine blog.

Still well written though!

It's always nice to see people take the time to invest in Social Media. That being said, your posting was very informational - with a lot of information. What I mean is, a facebook status probably isn't the best place to put such information. You can host a free blogsite at blogger.com (google product) and easily design the page (very user friendly) to match your color scheme and insert your logo (at its very basic). From there you should link the blog in your facebook status rather than put all the information there. Facebook statuses aren't typically made to deliver so much information and you risk losing your reader before they disseminate all of the information.

Also, I noticed the low number of likes on your page. Social media and any information given doesn't do anyone much justice if it isn't seen. You can increase your reach by either investing in facebook advertising, or encouraging your existing employees and customers to "Like" your facebook page. Also take the time to advertise your facebook links on your website or any other external media (website, advertising collateral, business cards, etc) to encourage traffic.

Hope that helps!

OK, now two of you have said the same thing.

Why do you want to keep content and detail pared down on a FaceBook page? What makes a blog a better platform for detail oriented writing?

I am a complete newbie to social media.

I personally would not go to a blog to read about your business, I may read it on FB. I don't think I have ever gone to a vlog to read about anything.

With a blog you can write 1 article and have it seen on many other social media sites. With my blog I may receive 30 or more visitors to the blog however it goes to Facebook, twitter, LinkedIn. Flikr, tumblr and a few other places not to mention the rss feeds and then the people that share the blog.

FaceBook is stuck only on Facebook unless someone shares it to their page.
My 30 visitors turns into 3000 reads.

With a blog you can write 1 article and have it seen on many other social media sites. With my blog I may receive 30 or more visitors to the blog however it goes to Facebook, twitter, LinkedIn. Flikr, tumblr and a few other places not to mention the rss feeds and then the people that share the blog.

FaceBook is stuck only on Facebook unless someone shares it to their page.
My 30 visitors turns into 3000 reads.
How do you get it to all of those other sites?

How do you get it to all of those other sites?

The blog site will have a links page where you can link it to other sites. Something I forgot to mention is you can tie it to other blog links. A recent article of mine was rebroadcast by 6 other blog writers. This kind of stuff is not measured by seo that shows visitors to your site

Latest posts

Back